Friday, December 10, 2010

#reverb10: beautifully different, parties, and wisdom


December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)

Oh, I have no idea about this one.  Really, I don't.  Well, I kind of do ... but it's not an answer I'm prepared to share. Which is why it has taken me three days to think of an answer.  I still am, as I sit and stare at the blinking cursor. I honestly don't think I am all that different than many other people.  For example, I consider myself a decent writer ... yet there are many wonderful writers out there.  I hope my writing lights people up, inspires them, makes them look at an issue or a situation differently. My job as a fundraising professional involves a lot of writing, and hopefully in that way, I can light their passion to give, or their awareness about an issue that they might not know about.

December 9 – Party Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. (Author: Shauna Reid)

Business cards collected from book blogger friends at
the Book Blogger Convention in May 2010.

The best social gathering of the year was with a group of kindred souls who, like me, prefer to spend their time either a) buried in a good book or b) talking about books with other bookish geeks.  I'm talking about the first annual Book Blogger Convention, held in May in New York.  It was a party like no other because it wasn't about the shoes or the clothes, or the music, or the food.  It was just about the people, and putting real human beings to avatars and blog names, and talking blogging and books.  It was a day that was among the highlight of my year and that I cannot wait to do again in 2011.

December 10 – Wisdom Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out? (Author: Susannah Conway)

I was dreading making a certain phone call back in late March. I had interviewed for a job on a Friday afternoon and by Sunday evening, I had a call back from the person who would become my new boss. There was an offer.  And I was scared to death and tried talking myself out of even picking up the phone to say yes. 

I was comfortable.  Way too comfortable.  I had been in my previous position for five years.  I was tired of my long commute.  I was on autopilot in more ways than one. I had hit the wall in terms of what I felt I could do. This had been a long and tough job search (for I had been looking for quite some time).  I had a lot of self-doubt and my confidence was shot to hell.  So it was easier to close my eyes to a new possibility than to take a risk. 

But I made the call, and I wound up taking the job ... and I can honestly say these have been some of the best seven months of my professional life.  We're building a new program, something I absolutely love to do. It's a great structure, a fabulous team.  As challenging as raising money in this economy is (and it certainly is) I believe I have never loved my work more than I do right now.   




copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Amy said...

These are all so thoughtful! I would have a lot of trouble thinking of a way that I am different too... can't think of one at all! I would agree that BBC was the best event of the year, and I can't wait for the next one! And congrats on the new job :)