Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Sunday Salon: A White (day after) Christmas


Snow is outside blowing 'round, coming down as if through a sieve.  By 9 a.m., I was one of many at the supermarket who were loading up on groceries as if the end of the world was near.  (And judging from the forecasts, it just might be. Memories of last year's winter Snowpocalypse - which I swear, seems like it just melted - are evidentally still extremely fresh, as evidenced by the postponing of tonight's Eagles-Vikings game.  Philadelphia is apparently under a snow emergency and expecting 20" of snow.)

Of course the most important provision one needs to have during a blizzard is plenty of reading material.  I won't need to worry about this ever again ... because The Husband's surprise Christmas gift to me was a Kindle!

I am so excited about this and I've been happily downloading a bunch of free books. (Classics galore!)  I don't expect the Kindle to do away with all my traditional books nor my weekly visits to the library with Betty, but I gotta tell ya ... I am in love. While the kids were listening to their new iPods and playing with their new DS's, I read the first chapter of a library book (The Lake Shore Limited by Sue Miller) that's due back on Tuesday.   I love this feature and I plan to use it often to hopefully get through my TBR pile more quickly. 

(For the record, I'm enough on the fence with The Lake Shore Limited to send it back to the library unfinished.  I couldn't quite get into The Senator's Wife and I seem to be having a similar reaction to this.)

Anyway, here are some other books that I got for Christmas:


The box at the top is a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble ... squeee! 

When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present, by Gail Collins 
I've been so excited about this, and have actually checked it out of the library a few times (and returned unread) because I want to first read Gail Collins's American Women: Four Hundred Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines.  (I bought that one back in January with a gift certificate from last Christmas.)  And I wanted to own it because, well, I thought American Women would look lonely on the shelf without this counterpart next to it. 

Zenobia, The Curious Book of Business: A Tale of Triumph Over Yes-Men, Cynics, Hedgers, and Other Corporate Killjoys by Matthew Emmens and Beth Kephart 
As regular blog readers know, I love Beth Kephart's work and consider her to be a friend.  I've been wanting to read Zenobia for awhile now. 

Questions About Angels, by Billy Collins
This shows how attentive my mother is to my blog.  I mentioned in a post from October 31 that this is a poetry collection that I'd like to own, and voila!  Now I do.  I love Billy Collins and this is one of my favorites of his. 

And two new cookbooks for my collection!

New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, by The Moosewood Collective

Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook

There was also a small book journal, too. 

Finally, this week I finished The Gift by Cecelia Ahern, which was just okay (read my review here) and also What I Didn't See and Other Stories by Karen Joy Fowler, a new-to-me author.  What impressed me about the 12 stories in What I Didn't See is how different each story was from its counterparts. Eclectic is the word that kept coming to mind as I read this.  On Thursday, I wrote about "Booth's Ghost" (which is still one of my favorites, now that I'm finished the book) and "The Pelican Bar" is an award-winning story that deserves accolades.

How about you?  Is it snowing where you are?  And if you celebrated Christmas, what books or bookish things did you get as gifts?

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Merry Christmas, and what great gifts. I'm glad to hear you had a great one :)

JoAnn said...

A Kindle - how exciting! Looks like we're gong to be on the fringes of this storm. It's already the snowiest December in history, so we're due for a break. Stay safe and warm... and enjoy some extra reading time.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Woo Hoo congrats on the Kindle!!! Awesome gift and way tog o to hubby too.

Snowpocalypse/ I heard we are due for one next weekend. They are talking 26 inches.

Florinda said...

Is it snowing yet? Looks like you'll have plenty to read once it does!

I've read both of the Gail Collins books and liked them a lot, although I preferred When Everything Changed because it doesn't try to cover as much ground, chronologically, and therefore gets into more detail.

Enjoy the Kindle! :-)

JanMary said...

How exciting to get a surprise Kindle!

My dh gave me a book (as well as other things) and I read it in just over a day - it is years since I have done that!

Itching to get back to the library now :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I got a Kindle last year for my birthday. My wife bought me a Kindle gift certificate for Chrismas. I just absolutely love it.

An unexpected bonus is that there is a free Kindle app for my ipod touch. So instead of playing bejeweled in odd moments away from my Kindle, I can read my book.

Erin said...

Enjoy your Kindle! I got a Sony Reader for Christmas and am loving it. I went classics-crazy, too!

I just picked up a copy of When Everything Changed and can't wait to read it.

It's not snowing where I am (Ohio), but there's snow on the ground! I head back to Pennsylvania next week and am hoping either the western side doesn't get hit, or that the snow melts quickly :-)

Iliana said...

Oh very good gifts! We got an iPad but my husband is busy playing with is so I haven't gotten to test out any ebooks. Still not sure how I'll like the format but curious of course.

And, hurrah for a Billy Collins book. Love his poetry.

Amanda said...

Isn't gutenberg like the best bookish website ever?? I've only ever bought one book for my kindle but I have tons from gutenberg!