Thursday, January 27, 2011

Home Can Be the Pennsylvania Turnpike

"Home can be the Pennsylvania Turnpike ..."  
"You're My Home,"  Billy Joel

You may have noticed a few vague posts around here lately.  Posts alluding to change, posts that don't take too much reading between the lines for anyone to figure out that Something Is Up. 

For the past week, I've been like Oprah (without the money and without the half-sister) with a Big Announcement of my own. 

I'm really bad at keeping secrets. For various reasons, and for more than a week now, I've had to keep quiet about the fact that ...

WE ARE MOVING!

The Husband has accepted a new position in Pittsburgh, which is 5 hours away from where we live now. 

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
"Closing Time" ~ Semisonic

We just moved here less than 4 years ago, so for someone who for most of their lives have always called one single metropolitan area (Philadelphia) home, this feels like we just got here.  I know there are people who move frequently for jobs or being in the military, so maybe four years seems like a long time to be in a place.  Not so for us.   

The Husband starts his new job on February 28 (so soon!) and I'll be a single parent here with the kids until whenever we sell our house. We've only just started getting it   ready to be put on the market, a process I'm not looking forward to, to be honest.   (My Decluttering 2011 Project will come in handy for this.)  While I'm holding down the fort here, The Husband will be living in corporate housing or something. He'll fly home on weekends or drive, and some weekends the kids and I will go up there.

My plan - as much as anyone can have a plan in such instances - is for the kids to finish 3rd grade here and then we'll join The Husband permanently in the summer. The kids, while initially upset, have gotten excited about the move. They're kind of enjoying looking at the various Pittsburgh websites and checking out the things to do there.

So home will indeed be the Pennsylvania Turnpike for awhile - and even afterwards, because as you know, we're from Philadelphia.  Most of our family members still live there. 

"Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged."
"Get Back" ~ The Beatles

If this all sounds familiar, it is. We were in exactly this same situation exactly 4 years ago when we moved down here. His start date here in Delaware was the last Monday in February, EXACTLY four years ago. It's weird that everything is happening at the exact same time of the year.

Our mixed feelings come from having to leave our current house, which we love, and which really was a dream house for us. And there's a huge part of each of us that doesn't want to leave Delaware. We love it here. The kids love it here. We've made some great friends here, and there's so much about this area that we have come to love.

We thought we would be here longer, quite honestly. We really wanted to be.

But those of you who know me know that I believe, wholeheartedly, that things always happen for a reason. That opportunities are given to us for the taking. That we might not understand right away, but to have faith to know that things do, eventually, work themselves out for reasons and in ways we don't expect and can never plan for.

So we're hoping the move back to Pennsylvania means a new beginning. We're hoping that Pennsylvania is, in fact, still as we remember it to be in regards to autism services for Boo. We're looking forward to discovering and exploring a new city. Up until a few weeks ago, my image of Pittsburgh was of a gray and dingy steel town. It actually seems to be more vibrant and exciting than I imagined it to be.

And hey, it was just voted America's 5th Most Literate City, so I'm bound to feel right at home in no time!

Are any of you from Pittsburgh?  I'd love to hear what you know about the area, the various school districts (particularly in the North Hills area), and services for people with autism. 


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

Florinda said...

I hope everything works out just as you've planned, and that sale of your house coincides nicely with the end of the school year. Good luck!

I don't know much about Pittsburgh, but my best friend in high school grew up there...and my son is a big Pittsburgh Penguins fan.

Trish said...

Your best bet is probably to get in touch with Autism Link - they can get you tons of info on what is available. I am in Harrisburg, so I don't know the specific area, but feel free to email me with any general questions about PA. Definitely apply for MA (Medical Assistance) right away!

Lisa said...

Good luck with the move, and the long distance living. As you've said, I've recently done that. I hope your move and sale go better than mine!

Jamie said...

i was born and raised in pittsburgh and still have family and friends there (i'm now in lancaster, pa). it is such an AMAZING place to grow up and to be from. i hope your kids enjoy it and hope you do, too! feel free to be in touch with any questions! jamiebeths at yahoo dot com.

Amy said...

Best of luck with the move! I hope it all works out perfectly.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I missed this post this week, so a belated congrats and good luck! I have a friend from Pittsburgh, and she loves the city. I'm sure you will feel right at home.