Saturday, January 29, 2011

Like I Need Another Challenge (Um, Make That Two)

Now this is my kind of reading challenge - one that will actually assist me with packing our house to move while allowing me to read books! 

Allow me to explain. 

I have six "chunky" books on my bookshelves (The Hour I First Believed and I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb; Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo; The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen; Streisand: Her Life, by James Spada; All's Fair: Love, War, and Running for President by James Carville and Mary Matalin) that I'm interested in reading.

But I'm even more interested in not packing one more damn box more than I have to paying to move these chunksters to the new house. (While I want to read these, I'm pretty sure these are tomes I won't want to keep - which does make me think that if that is the case, maybe I shouldn't bother reading them in the first place - but that's another post, I guess.) 

So Wendy's annual Chunkster Challenge is coming at exactly the right time for me. It begins on February 1 and continues until January 31, 2012.  I've never joined this one before, but it's pretty popular.  I'm going for The Chubby Chunkster level, which means reading four books that are 450 pages long or more. 

I'm giving myself a twist on this one, too.  My Chunkster books need to should really, really come from my own TBR shelves.  (This is NOT a requirement of the challenge, just my own personal insanity restriction.) 

I've also decided to sign up for Sheila's Where Are You Reading? Challenge simply because I thought making the Google Map of where all my books took place sounded like my kind of nerdy book dork fun (and it is).

I'm not quite sure how to link to my map without giving access to my gmail account, but you're not missing much.  My map is kind of boring at the moment as the only places I've been while reading have been Amherst, MA; Los Angeles, CA, and New York, NY (twice).  Not like any of those places are boring (far from it!) but with only three pins on my map, it doesn't look all that exciting right now. 

I'm pretty sure this is it for the Reading Challenges for me this year. 

We'll see. 


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Florinda said...

The Corrections is my current record-holder for time spent in TBR Purgatory. What might you think of doing it as a buddy read? At this point, I think I need extra motivation to dislodge it, so if that appeals to you, let me know!

Elisabeth said...

Good luck with your packing. I have so many books, lots of old paperbacks, I don't know what I am going to do when it's my turn to move! I should do the Chunkster Challenge, just finished Cutting for Stone, it was good, and now reading The Agony and the Ecstasy, They are both for my Book Group, what were we thinking!

DemMom said...

I've read 3 of your 6 chunksters (both Lamb, and "All's Fair). Recommend them all. I don't think I own hardback "I know..." or All's Fair (can't believe that, it was only my inspiration to get into politics!). If you want to give them up before the move (after you read) I'm happy to pay shipping!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

So glad to see you on the challenge! This is going to be a blast :)