Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Spinning

Indeed, our heads have been spinning this week, what with the news that The Husband has been named to a new job in Pittsburgh (five hours away from us) and our decision to put our house up for sale and relocate there.  To a person, everyone I've talked to has said great things about the Pittsburgh area and how wonderful it is, but I'll admit my head is spinning with all the details and the prospect of being a single parent during the week until the house is sold and we can move.  We've been in this exact position before (four years ago when we moved here) so even though this is familiar ground in some respects, it's still nervewracking and exciting at the same time.  

I spent this week reading Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin, which also left my head spinning in a wonderful way.  I'll have more to say in my review, but this one was simply phenomenal. I loved everything about it - the interconnectedness of the characters' lives, the gorgeous prose, everything.  It has become one of my absolute favorite, take-it-to-a-desert-island books.  I rarely re-read books, but I think this is one that I could read over and over again and still discover something new.  I also rarely select a Book of the Year, but if I wind up doing so for 2011, I can't imagine anything captivating me more than Let the Great World Spin. 

If you're interested in this and have an e-reader, this one is only $6.17 right now on Amazon.  I don't make any commission or anything off of this plug, but wanted to mention it.  I borrowed this from the library but I love this so much that I just bought it for my Kindle in order to have to read again whenever I want.  The Husband thinks I'm crazy for buying a book I just finished ... but I don't think I have to explain myself to you guys, do I now? :)

In other news, last year I didn't do as good of a job with my monthly recaps of books read.  I want to try and do better this year, so since this is the second-to-last-day of January, here's where 2011 currently stands in regard to all things books (links take you to my reviews):

Books Read:



1. Picnic, Lightning, Poems by Billy Collins



3. Poems of Emily Dickinson, Three Series, Complete (Kindle version)








8. Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann 


9. Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin (audiobook) 


Books Abandoned:


1. A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan

Reading Challenge Update: 

Fearless Poetry Challenge - COMPLETED 

2nds Challenge - 2/6
Innocence
The Unnamed

50 States/Where Are You Reading?
Massachusetts
California
New York

Audiobook Challenge - 1/3
Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime

E-book Challenge - 1/6
Poems by Emily Dickinson

Memorable Memoir - 1/5
Not My Boy!

New Authors - 2/15
Jerome Charyn
Colum McCann

What's in a Name? 2/5
Life Stage - The Unnamed
Travel or Movement - Let the Great World Spin

I'm pretty pleased with this start to the year.  How about you ... how was your reading in January?


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh congrats on the move! I hope all goes well for you. I also really enjoyed Let the Great World Spin. :)

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Yes, moving can be exciting and stressful, too. I hope everything works out...I'm not sure how the real estate market is there, but when I sold my house (in 2007), it took nine months.

But things are better now, I've heard.

Good luck with that!

I just did my first monthly recap on reading, but forgot to put in my Challenges. Tomorrow, I guess...

Here's my SUNDAY SALON

Cindy said...

Congrats on your upcoming move. You had a really good month in reading. I am pretty impressed with what I managed to read. Hmm perhaps I should start doing an monthly update too.

Trisha said...

I have a love-hate relationship with moving. I love the newness, the possibility, and the opportunity to redecorate. I hate the moving boxes, painting, cleaning, etc. :) Good luck in your move!

Lori said...

Ok, I guess if you have to go to Pittsburgh then you have to go but I'm having trouble with the whole sports team thing. LOL I'm pretty sure if my husband told me we'd have to abandon Philadelphia, I'd be leaving him. I just couldn't be in the same city as the Penguins. LOL Have a great move and good luck with the house!!