Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Sunday Salon: From My Sickbed


This Sunday finds me in bed with what feels like the flu - sore throat, on-and-off fever, dizziness, overall weakness - guzzling Gatorade and sleeping for the majority of the day and night.  I was hoping we would have made it through this winter without any of us getting dreadfully sick (we've been pretty lucky thus far). 

Anyway, when I am able to keep my eyes open for more than five minutes, I'm reading Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickinson and Her Family's Feuds by Lyndall Gordon.   It was due back to the library yesterday and I've only just reached the midpoint.  (It's 405 pages.)  The first half is very biographical, along with analysis of her poetry and theories as to why Emily was such a recluse.  It's only now, at the 200 page mark, that we're getting into the family drama.  (Emily's brother Austin was having an affair, but it is apparently more complicated than just that.)

This week, I also listened to Mockingbird, by Kathryn Erskine. Absolutely wonderful. 
My current audiobook is a short story collection called American Salvage, by Bonnie Jo Campbell, which was a finalist for the National Book Award.

OK, that's all that I have the energy for right now. Back to bed.  Hope you're having a great Sunday! 


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Hope you feel much better soon!! We all need some good strong sunshine and a dose of Spring!

Elisabeth said...

Hope you are feeling better! Being sick stinks, but hey, look at all the reading time!

JoAnn said...

Oh no, Melissa! So sorry you're sick... hope you're better soon. Take care.