Thursday, March 17, 2011

Library Loot: March 16-22

I'm having a hard time getting the official Library Loot button to appear, so apologies for that. Anyway, Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

Over the weekend I had to return some books, and I also wanted to see what was there in the way of audiobooks.  I have a long (10 hour round trip) drive ahead of me this weekend (there's a Gala that The Husband and I are attending as part of his work; this will be the first my mother has heard that I am driving this distance instead of flying - which I can't do now because Southwest jacked up their fares significantly because of the gas prices) so I wanted to make sure I was stocked up.  Of course, you know I couldn't just go to the audiobook section ... I had to see what might be on the New Books shelf, too. 


Audiobooks: 
That Old Cape Magic, by Richard Russo (9 hours)
Ford County, Stories by John Grisham  (8.5 hours)
The Postmistress, by Sarah Blake (10 hours)
(not pictured) The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (much longer ... this one is 18 CDs)

All of these (with the exception of The Postmistress) are books already on my TBR shelf (I have the print version out from the library), so I thought it would make me feel especially accomplished if I could knock one of these out on this trip.  I'm kind of leaning towards The Postmistress, though I could be persuaded to change my mind.  I really don't want to have to pack up Edgar (that thing is a Chunkster!) and That Old Cape Magic seems like a light read.  Then again, Ford County is a collection of short stories, so that might be a good choice to break up the trip between audiobook and music.  (I don't think I can listen to an audiobook straight through.)

Have you listened or read any of these?  

Oh, and then it was over to the New Books shelf, where I found:

By Nightfall, by Michael Cunningham (really looking forward to this one)
Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English, by Natasha Solomons

Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homelessness to Harvard, by Liz Murray (I read a little of this in the library and OMG ... it looks fascinating)

Take One Candle, Light a Room, by Susan Straight

Then yesterday, I was at a meeting at one of our offices and afterward I had to return some books.  I stopped in at the nearby library branch - which is one of my very favorite branches in our system and out of the way for me normally, so it is a treat to go there and find beauties like these:



Audiobooks:
$20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better, by Christopher Steiner  (I can't think of a better depressing selection for a 10 hour car ride, can you?)   This one is 9.5 hours. 

Reading Jackie: Her Autobiography in Books, by William Kuhn  (12 hours, 30 minutes)

Going Away Shoes, by Jill McCorkle
Zoli, by Colum McCann
The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott, by Kelly O'Connor McNees 
The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's, by Temple Grandin 
Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists, edited by Courtney E. Martin and J. Courtney Sullivan
The Quickening, by Michael Hoover
Thief, by Maureen Gibbon
The Wisdom of Sam: Observations on Life from an Uncommon Child, by Daniel Gottlieb 
The Imperfectionists, by Tom Rachman (I am kicking myself for not snagging this when it was $5 for the Kindle)
A Thousand Sisters: My Journey Into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman, by Lisa J. Shannon
$20 Per Gallon 
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, by Robin Robertson

In addition to bringing the audiobooks with me on this trip (which will be a busy one with little non-car time for reading), I'm only bringing my current book (American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half Its Food and What We Can Do About It, by Jonathan Bloom - such an interesting book!) and my Kindle. 

But tell me ... if you were looking at 10 hours in the car, which of these audiobooks would you want with you?

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I'm with you, I'd go with The Postmistress!

JoAnn said...

I'm a big fan of Richard Russo so, even though it's not his best, I'd choose That Old Cape Magic - really enjoyed it in print. But I've heard great things about The Postmistress, too.

Tanya Patrice said...

You have quite the Loot!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Wow, great loot! I'm still waiting on Mr Rosenblum Dreams in English - can't wait to finally read it, hopefully it will come in sometime before her new book is released! - and I really liked The Imperfectionists when I read it last year.

Enjoy your loot!

nomadreader said...

Your loot looks a lot like my TBR. I hope you enjoy!