Wednesday, March 9, 2011

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: Goodwill


My Decluttering 2011 project has gone into overdrive, now that we're moving. 

(I didn't know we would be moving when I vowed to get rid of 2,011 things this year.)

Pictured above in the back of my Chevy HHR, is a significant portion of the walk-in closet in our master bedroom.  Four years ago, we moved all of these clothes to this house.  Now, some of them actually did fit us then ... but many, many, many of them did not.  We were holding onto them because "maybe someday we would fit into them again."  (You understand how that game goes, right?)
Instead, they damn near barely fit into my car.  As you can see, I needed the front seat, too. A lot of them still have the dry cleaning tags on them.   (If you're in the market for an HHR and are wondering how much the back can hold, now you know.) Here's what was donated to Goodwill yesterday:

9 men's suits
22 men's dress pants
29 men's dress shirts
3 men's blazers
3 women's suits
5 women's blouses
1 knit dress
4 women's blazers
3 women's dress pants

Pretty much all of these items are professional work clothes, so I hope they will help someone out. There were two completely full trash bags of the kids clothes underneath this load, too, but I didn't itemize them. I just grabbed them in order to get them out of the house.


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow that is alot of clothes. Good for you in giving them away and I totally understand holding on to items that no longer fit because hey you just never know.

Good luck on your move and I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.

avisannschild said...

Congrats on doing so well on your decluttering project! You inspire me! I've been meaning to do the same, but haven't gotten very far yet...

Hope the move goes well!

Elizabeth said...

That IS a lot of stuff. And I'm sure Goodwill will be grateful. I myself have a closet about the size of a child (I call it the Barbie closet), so I'm unable to hold on to anything for long.

Erin said...

I'm totally inspired by this. I read this post, started tweeting about it and had a bunch of people ask if I was going to write a post about it. Some asked if they could link up! So I wrote a post and added a linky, I gave you credit right at the top of my post. I'd love it if you'd join, since you are the inspiration!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, my, that reminds me of my moving day almost four years ago. I had sold my rather large house and downsized to a two-bedroom condo.

I had to give away several car loads of stuff...and then more, when I arrived, as there was an overflow into the garage.

I still have some stuff packed away in the garage in see-through bins (on shelves), because I might want them...someday.

Good luck!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I just love getting rid of stuff. It is so freeing!!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

My gracious, that's a lot of stuff!! I always have things in my closet that I keep telling myself I'll be able to fit into again some day...heavy sigh...
As stressful as moving is, it sure feels good to get rid of old stuff and start fresh!!

Amused said...

That is incredibly impressive! It must feel good though to have gotten rid of all of that...and made room for new stuff ;)

K A B L O O E Y said...

I am impressed and jealous. Great job. And oh, yes, do I know about saving clothes because they might fit again. (They won't be in style, but hey... )
PS: been thinking about and reading things about your cousin Joey since I read the columns about him. Checked out his website too. So am even MORE impressed with him. And he's a complete cutiepie too.