Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's a 24 Hour Read-a-Thon Weekend!


It's that time again, folks ... the spring edition of Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is this weekend! 

(For those not in the know, this is a twice-a-year event that has become a beloved tradition in the book blogging community. Named in honor of its founder, a book blogger who went by the name of Dewey and who has since passed away (and is still missed), Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon is exactly what it sounds like: 24 hours of reading.  You can find all the details and up-to-date information here.)

Alas, I'm not going to be around much for this Read-a-Thon and I'm somewhat bummed about that.  The spring one always seems to present a conflict for me.  In previous years, it was always on the weekend of our biggest fundraiser for the nonprofit I worked for.  This year, most of the time I would have been reading will be in the car - with Betty and Boo. 

Speaking of the kids, I've involved my kids in this for the past couple years.  Betty in particular has taken to this and loves participating with me.  She seems to like keeping track of how many hours we've read and how many books we've read, and getting the chance to write a guest post on Mommy's blog is always a big hit.  (Clearly, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.)  Some people even make it a philanthropic endeavor, by pledging to donate a specific amount to a favorite charity for each page read or hour participated.

I did check out two audiobooks from the library yesterday (Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle) for our road trip (6 hours each way), so there's the chance that I will be able to participate that way.  And of course, my Kindle will be coming along with me and I'm hoping to get at least a little reading in myself.

So, I'm what you would perhaps call an unofficial participant this time around.  Still, I wanted to mention the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon in case you'd like to participate.  I know I have at least one blog reader who expressed interest last fall, when we last did this craziness. (I'm lookin' at you, Yogi of Yogi's Den.)  You certainly don't have to be a book blogger - or even have a blog, really - to participate in the fun ... and trust me, if you're passionate about reading, the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is really a lot of fun. 

So, what are you waiting for?  It's not too late to sign up ... and you can do so right here.

Either way, I hope you have a great weekend!

Sign from the Book Blogger Convention in New York, NY ~ May 2010
 copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Melissa! Wish you were able to be more involved...but there is always October :)