Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sky Blue and Black




This photo was taken during last summer's vacation of cool changes, from the porch of my aunt and uncle's beach house.  I was sitting here, as I often do doing these visits, and noticed the sky blue and black.  (To quote one of my very favorite songs ever. Love me Jackson Browne.)

This is a six-block long and two-block wide town with a name even people who live within a few miles away don't know.  And on that July day, half of this tiny slip of an island was under fierce and threatening storm clouds; the other half was bathed in sunlight and blue skies.  I sat on the porch, stared, reflected, snapped photos. 

And so it is here this morning - here, at home, anchored on the mainland.  Last night brought howling and rattling winds, weather and circumstances that tossed me to and fro all night long with worry, with anxiety, with dread. 

Today's a new one, one that started with gloomy clouds during this morning's drop off, but one that has transformed into a morning of sunlight streaming through the family room windows.   (And back to gloomy clouds again. These are the types of days that bring rainbows, yes?)

There are possibilities perculating, ones that could hold promise in terms of new work.  This transition might provide me with some time to write more (no excuse now not to finish my novel, right?)

And there is a tiny glimmer of hope in regards to my friends and their horrific adoption case.  The judge has the opportunity to overturn the jury's verdict during the next hearing in Wisconsin, on May 25.  He says he won't be inclined to do so, but my friend's sister has asked us to use the power of our voices and our words, in the form of letters to the judge. I'll be writing my letter today.  (Instructions on how you can do the same are at the end of this post, following the "Sky Blue and Black" lyrics.)
I'm black and blue this morning, in many different ways.  I'm still worried, still anxious, still angry and sad as hell.

But also optimistic. 

And driven like the driving rain to do whatever I can.

And the heavens were rolling
Like a wheel on a track
And our sky was unfolding
And it'll never fold back
Sky blue and black
And I'd have fought the world for you
If I thought that you wanted me to
Or put aside what was true or untrue
If I'd known that's what you needed
What you needed me to do
But the moment has passed by me now
To have put away my pride
And just come through for you somehow
If you ever need holding
Call my name, I'll be there
If you ever need holding
And no holding back, I'll see you through
You're the color of the sky
Reflected in each store-front window pane
You're the whispering and the sighing
Of my tires in the rain
You're the hidden cost and the thing that's lost
In everything I do
Yeah and I'll never stop looking for you
In the sunlight and the shadows
And the faces on the avenue
That's the way love is
That's the way love is
That's the way love is
Sky blue and black

"Sky Blue and Black" ~ Jackson Browne




If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I'm relieved to hear that there's still time for your friends. Please let us know how we can help -- I'm happy to do a blog post and would just need decent background information -- maybe your letter will help?

By the way, I'm so loving "The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson" -- thank you for recommending it!