Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book Blogger Convention: From Cities in Dark and Dawn, To the City That Never Sleeps


There is something magical about seeing a city awaken, unfolding to the potential and promise of the day ahead.  It's almost a privilege, really, to witness this transformation, to see things in a different light than usual.

It awakens part of oneself, seeing our world from a different vantage point.

I loved that aspect of taking the early morning train last year to New York for Book Blogger Convention (just for the day as I did this year). In a weird way, I almost didn't mind my 3:00 a.m. wake up call, my 40 minute drive to the station while fueled by adrenaline. (Truth be told, I might have been awake at 3:00 a.m. anyway, given my excitement for this day.)

A handful of us broke night on the platform of Wilmington's renovated train station, the beams and posts almost gleaming in the aftermath of construction dust and detours now brushed away.  Now renamed in honor of our Vice President, its most famous rider and bringer of federal funds, I barely recognized the station since my last visit.

The sun broke over my city of Philadelphia as we approached, as I read an email on my BlackBerry about the exciting news that Anna Lefler, humor blogger ("Life Just Keeps Getting Weirder") extraordinaire, just signed a book deal. Anna is extremely talented and so deserving of this - and her publishers know so too, as they sought her out for this next chapter in her life.  Yeah ... THEY came to HER.

(Can't get more pumped up than that while heading to a blogging convention, eh? It can happen, folks.)

We bloggers are, indeed, our own City of Brotherly (Bloggerly?) Love.  There might be drama from time to time, but as would be said on several occasions throughout the day ahead, we are a community.  We consider each other friends.  Even bloggers who weren't familiar with Anna's blog were thrilled with her new success, when Florinda and I shared the news. We bloggers cheer each other on. 

We rolled past Philadelphia ....









New York resembled a pen and ink sketch, an etching in the distance. 


We would be coming together in that city, to celebrate our love of words.  The words of others crafted in books as well as our own words that express our passion for them. What we do with our words is up to each of us, individually.

As bloggers, we are still on the cusp of all the potential that we can hold. We are being noticed, we are making a difference. 

We are the city.  We are coming into the light of our days.

Book Blogger Convention recap, to be continued ....

"Somewhere in the middle of the neverending noise
There is a constant steady rhythm of a heart that beats
And a million voices blend into a single voice
And you can hear it in the clamour of the crowded streets
People come and take their chances
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose a lot
Come make your own contribution to this melting pot

I'm the street you walk
The language you talk
I am the city
The skyline is me and the energy
I am the city ...."

"I Am the City" ~ ABBA



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Lovely writing, as usual.

And you're so right about the "never sleeps" thing! I had to be in the lobby of the hotel at 4 a.m. for the shuttle to pick me up, and there were all sorts of people JUST GETTING IN! And all sorts of people still "partying" out on the streets! All I could say was wow!

Meg said...

Lovely, lovely post and photos, and I couldn't agree more: seeing the city wake up feels like you're still dreaming. Can't wait to read your full recap!

Alex said...

What a great post. Early morning is my favorite time of day in New York. I am looking forward to the next part. It was also so nice to meet a fellow Weekend Cooking person.