Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Moving Forward


I debated not even posting a Salon this week because - surprise! - I'm still reading the same book as I was last week.  (And the week before that, and the week before that....)  My Kindle tells me I'm 63% of the way through The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren GroffI mean, I first mentioned to you that I was reading this one back on April 1! This has to be a record for the longest it has taken me to get through a book.  Ridiculous.

Well, I guess the bright side is that it's going to be fairly easy to do my May wrap up post.  (And April's for that matter.) 

Reading just isn't high on the priority list lately.  After weeks of decluttering and whatnot, our house is FINALLY listed on the market.  Got the sign on the front lawn and the listing online, so it feels like we're moving forward. (Hah.  Pun intended.)  No bites yet, though, which is depressing the hell out of me.  No calls for showings, even.  People say it's still early (it went online on Thursday) but I'd be lying if I said wasn't getting concerned. 

I hate this economy.

I'm hoping that tomorrow night will help take my mind off of things.  Assuming my car survives its latest date with the mechanic (it's acting weird AGAIN), I'm planning to be in the audience at one of our local libraries to hear my friend and author Rachel Simon talk about her new book, The Story of Beautiful Girl.  This is getting mega-praise from all places (my own Philadelphia Inquirer has a gorgeous review of it today -  by Elizabeth Mosier, no less!).

So I'm really hoping the car situation works out so that I can tell you all about this on Tuesday.

Another distraction from my reading is that I'm trying to launch a consulting/freelancing business.  As many of you know, I'm a soon-to-be-unemployed nonprofit fundraiser and writer. This has, admittedly, been in the back of my mind for quite some time and at this point, there's not much stopping me from doing this. I mean, it's not like I'm walking away from a steady income, you know?  I've  been starting to build a social media presence for the business, and since that's part of what I hope to do, I'm having fun with it. 

Finally, as I announced yesterday, I will be going to the Book Blogger Convention after all!  With all that's been going on (job loss, house selling, single parenthood during the week ....) I really didn't think it was going to happen for me this year. But it is - albeit just for one day - and it is definitely a nice pick-me-up that I'm looking forward to. 

So, I'm moving forward on several fronts.  Maybe a little more slowly than I'd like, but forward nonetheless. 

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Melissa, I am so excited you are going and I get to see you again. I have grown to love your blog posts. I look forward to them even though I don't always comment.

Yay! See you soon.

unfinishedperson.com said...

I wouldn't worry too much about your lack of reading mojo. I think with all you've had going on, it's certainly understandable. I think the BEA Convention will be good for you not only mentally, but also in developing contacts. Either way, have fun...I'm ultra-jealous.

Alison said...

I love your idea for a business, and I look forward to hearing more about it!

Melissa said...

@Michelle - really looking forward to seeing you again too! (And right back 'atcha with the loving the blog posts.)

@unfinished person - thanks! I think it will help, too.

@Alison - just sent you the link/info via a Facebook email.

Melissa said...

Good luck with everything! You certainly have a lot on your plate.