Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Sunday Salon: My New Reason Why I Love My Kindle (and why I won't be reading it en route to the Book Blogger Convention)


There's some big news in my reading life, folks.  

(You're right if you've been reading my Salon posts of late and guessed that I actually finished a book.  Indeed, that I did.)

But this news is even bigger.  It's life-changing.  After nearly 40 years ...

I CAN READ IN THE CAR! 

Now, I know some of my blog readers are probably saying, "So what?"  But this is huge, people.  Like many people, I suffer with the inability to read in the car or on a bus.  I can read on a plane. I can read on a train. (This is starting to sound like the blog of Dr. Seuss).  But I have not, thought I could not, would not read in a car.

Until I tried it with the Kindle last night. 

It was an experiment of sorts.  On our car trips to see family in PA, The Husband usually drives and I fiddle with Facebook or Twitter on my phone.  I realized that if I can read status updates and tweets, then maybe I could read my Kindle. 

 
So I tried it out yesterday evening.  Fired up my Kindle to the May 9 issue of "The New Yorker" (still working my way through that one) and read Donald Antrim's short story "He Knew."  And just like that, I discovered I could read in the car now.  Being that we are moving 6 hours away from our families (instead of the 1.5 hours we are now), the idea that I'll be able to spend some of these road trips with a Kindle book makes me deliriously happy.  I don't know what the difference is, and I don't care. 
Like many others, I have a little trip of sorts planned this week.  I'm going to New York on Friday for the 2nd Annual Book Blogger Convention ... but I'm not going to be reading my Kindle on the train. I'll be reading THIS and I cannot wait. 
I am so looking forward to reading this book.  I've known about it since last year and it has seemed like an eternity for its publication date of May 4 to get here.  But it did, and I now have a copy, and I am thrilled. 

From all I've heard about this one (and you'll be hearing more about it too, judging from the accolades it has already received and the fact that it went into a second printing less than two weeks post-publication), this seems to be a book where the reading cannot and should not be rushed.  It deserves the gift of time - time to let the story and the characters and the issues raised within to properly marinate in one's mind. 

Time happens to be something I don't have much of these days ... but I will have at least four glorious and uninterrupted hours on Amtrak when I head to New York for the Book Blogger Convention on Friday.

(While Rachel Simon might be a new author for some, I (and more than a few others) have been following her career for 20 years.  For those of us in the Philadelphia area, she's one of our own - now calling my adopted state of Delaware home. On Monday evening, I was lucky enough to attend a fabulous talk with Rachel at one of our local library branches - which I'll be blogging about soon.) 

Wherever you are this Sunday - be it in a car or a train or a plane en route to Book Expo America or at home (and you should be at Armchair BEA if that's the case) - I hope you have a great print or e-book in hand!


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

12 comments:

Meghan said...

Reading in the car for me is a bit of a risky endeavor. I can be fine or I can start to feel sick. I'm the same on planes or buses or trains, though, it's always a little bit uncertain but I give it a try anyway.

I have a copy of The Story of Beautiful Girl coming to me too and I can't wait!

Have a fantastic time in New York at the BBC!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

That's great that you can read in the car! Irrationally, I feel guilty reading in the car if my husband has to drive and can't read also (even though he wouldn't mind and wouldn't feel guilty in my place) so we listen together to books on tape. But sometimes I just wish I could work on whatever book I'm reading!

gautami tripathy said...

I can't read in a car at all!

Here is my Sunday Salon post!

Marce said...

Yaaaaay that is exciting news. I have a family member that can't read in the car or she will get car sick so this is very exciting.

Trish said...

I can usually read in the car, but not always. That's great to know that you can read your Kindle, especially since you more car trips in your future.

Hope the blogging trip is wonderful!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I haven't tried reading my Kindle in the car yet...mainly because I'm usually the one driving!

Hope you have a great time at BEA.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

bibliophiliac said...

I'm usually the driver-so reading is probably not such a good idea. My daughters and I used to get audio books for long trips.I have a Nook and love the convenience of it.

LBC said...

I love to read in the car. I'm glad the Kindle is helping you out with that. You also have convinced me, I think, to make Story of a Beautiful Girl the next book I read on my Ipad. I have a Galley that I didn't think I was going to get to, but your post made me want to prioritize it. Have so much fun at BEA.

The Sunday Salon @ The Scarlet Letter

Care said...

Yippee for reading in the car! I love to read while passengering in a car (as opposed to reading while driving...)
and have a great trip to NYC!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am so envious! Lucky, lucky you.

Florinda said...

I made the same discovery with my Kindle, and it's great! Now my problem with reading in the car is that I spend too much of my time in the car driving :-). Reading on the train sounds great to me! (And see you on Friday!)

K A B L O O E Y said...

You're going to be in NYC this weekend? Hmm... email me if you think you might have time to grab a cup of something. Have a great time! I love reading on ANY sort of vehicle and know I'm lucky in this respect. As for my kindle, I read at red lights while driving. Sometimes I need a honk to get going, though.