Wednesday, June 29, 2011

6 Things That I'm Currently WTFed About


1. That Newsweek cover.

At this point, I'm half-expecting Tina Brown to trot over to merry old England and exhume Princess Diana's body. I'm serious.  After that cover and then the "what Diana's Facebook page would be like" and whatnot, this is just a cheap and callous attempt (and it's working, 'cause - hullo! - I wouldn't have a blog post today without it) to sell magazines.  I'm also reacting to this as someone who has lost a parent at a young age, as the Princes William and Harry unfortunately did. It's just heartless, disrespectful, and cold.  People should boycott the purchase of this issue ... but they won't.


2. That KIA ad.

I speak of the sordid ad touting the benefits of KIA's dual-climate control system that somehow got confused with a PSA for child molestation. Peggy Orenstein (she of Cinderella Ate My Daughter, which I am currently reading and enjoying) has covered this one in great detail, even receiving a response from the KIA powers-that-be, who claimed to be unawares that the ad even existed ... yet, it managed to receive a Silver Lion Cannes Award.  (On the panel awarding the skeevy ad the award? The head of Mattel. Yeah.)

KIA already has a tarnished image with me. A friend's KIA burst into flames with her and her two adorable girls inside (fortunately, all are fine) but just hearing her tell the story, including KIA's shoulder-shrugging "oh well, shit happens" response to the incident, makes me think that this ad is just another way KIA is spinning its wheels ... or, more appropriately, Kovering Its Ass.

3. That TSA diaper-change.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.  At this point, incidents involving the TSA are like a bad version of Mad Libs.  "Today, TSA officials at _________ [name of airport] in __________ [name of city]  forced a ______ [adjective, such as "disabled," "infirm," or "elderly"]   _______ [a gender] to remove _____ [his/her]  ________ [name of life-sustaining medical device/equipment/personal undergarment] before going through airport security." 

4. The Seattle Police Department.

Now, I've been known to leave a cup of coffee on the trunk of my car, so I know these sorts of a-duh moments sometimes happen. But leaving an unattended AK-15 rifle (one that is LOADED, mind you) on the back of a police vehicle warrants more than a write-up in one's file and a day's suspension.

5. Tracy Morgan.

Enough from you.  Just SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. ALREADY. You've dropped the R-word one too many times, and you've referred to people with disabilities as chimps.  As the statement from Spread the Word to End the Word says, "Tracy Morgan is absolutely correct when he said mothers, family members, loved ones and friends of people with intellectual disabilities are not to be 'messed with.'"  Just don't.  And stop. 

6. Facebook.

It's better today, right now (thank God) but WTF has been up with the gawd-awful slowness of Facebook? Does Mark Zuckerberg have a few bucks to get this fixed already?  It's horrible and it is making me feel like I'm back in the freakin' dial-up connection age.  I've read any number of articles and theories - ranging from a) too many ads or b) too many vacation photos being uploaded to c) a gazillion unemployed college graduates suddenly having nothing to do, on top of nearly 10% of the country being unemployed and sitting around Facebooking all day (I happen to fall into that category, thank you very much, and realize I am probably part of the problem.) 

But it IS a problem because ... well ... (hangs head in shame )... I'm a Facebook addict, dammit.  I love Facebook, and I love that I can reach out and touch any of my 229 nearest and dearest Friends anytime I want, and this summer with me home with the kids 24/7, it's kind of a lifeline.  Seriously.

And I'm well aware that it's no coincidence that all of the above "news" stories (except the AK-15 one, which I learned about while reading Savage Love) were ones that I learned about on ... you guessed it, Facebook. Girl's gotta have her soapbox, y'know? 



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

unfinishedperson.com said...

I don't know anything about the Newsweek cover, but now I'll have to find it. Thanks for alerting me ;). As for KIA, I'm glad we don't have cable or satellite, so I don't know what you're talking about. Whew. TSA, Seattle PD, Tracy Morgan, Facebook: all dumb asses, but I'll continue to use at least one of them. :)

Elizabeth said...

Great post -- and I prefer you to Facebook! I haven't noticed that it's slow, though. Hmmmmm.....

Have you read Robert Rummel Hudson's takes on Tracy Morgan? He's a great writer, an edgy guy with a unique sensibility and what he's written about the use of the word "retard" is the best I've read.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

OMG! LOL! I'm looking for the "like" button :)

Gail mcfayden said...

Perfect! Couldn't have said it better myself on all 6 wtf's!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Aw, I love Dan Savage, and The Kid was terrific. Haven't read him regularly since I lived in the city and read The Village Voice.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Melissa, I just adore you and your posts. :)

Thomas at My Porch said...

I do think the Diana cover is creepy. But worse than that is that it is on the cover of a magazine called "Newsweek". If the magazine were called "Made Up Stuff Week" that might be different. I know magazines are fighting for survival. But who is kidding who.

Lisa said...

omg that kia ad! I hadn't seen that. WTF??

Booksnyc said...

This is a great post - so funny! I love the line "trot over to Merry Old England . . . "

You should market the TSA mad libs idea - mad libs were always great for trips - they would sell like hotcakes in the airports!