Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Mona Lisa Writes (On Behalf of the Mad Hatter)

The Mad Hatter with my Boo
Storybook Ball, Please Touch Museum, Philadelphia, PA
May 2009

So on Monday night, after watching Obama's speech on the debt crisis and John Boehner's rebuttal, I wrote that quick, one-off post with the quote about Boehner seeming Oompa Loompa-like. ("Speaker Oompa Loompa," in case you missed it.)

And since I like to pair my posts with one of my own photos that somehow corresponds with, or adds meaning or whimsy to my words, I chose this one from May 2009.  I'd won tickets to the Storybook Ball at the Please Touch Museum,  where I snapped this photo of The Mad Hatter interacting with Betty and Boo.

Especially Boo.

Well, as these things sometimes happen in this blogging world, that post caught the attention (I have no idea how) of The Wife of The Mad Hatter ... who emailed me.  (We'll call her Mona.)

Mona married The Mad Hatter a few weeks after I took that photo and, as she wrote, "I've finally seen a good candid of my sweetie at work. THANK YOU!"

No, Mona. It's me who needs to thank you for writing because that allows me to thank your husband. Because, you see, there was more to that photo than meets the eye, as I wrote back in my reply.

Hello Mona! 

Even though that event was two years ago, I still remember how wonderful The Mad Hatter was with my son.  Boo has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism, and has difficulty in social situations.  In fact, even going to the Storybook Ball was a bit nerve-wracking (I was by myself with both kids).  But [your husband] came up to us immediately and connected so well with Boo, just going back and forth with him and making him laugh like I hadn't heard him laugh in so long. When people like [your husband] do this, even if it is part of their work, it makes a difference and is noticed and very much appreciated.  

All best, Melissa 

Those of you who are parents of kids with autism or who have other challenges, you understand this, don't you? You understand how you can remember a simple interaction two (or many more) years later with someone who immediately gets your child.

Who makes him laugh.  And laugh some more.

Who makes you think this evening might actually work out after all.  This might turn out OK. 

"Until you've seen this trash can dream come true
You stand at the edge while other people run you through
And I thank the Lord there's people out there like you
I thank the Lord there's people out there like you."

"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" ~ Elton John and Bernie Taupin





copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Love the "small world" of blogging. Neat that you were able to say Thanks to the Mad-Hatter, even two years later.
Yep, I completely understand how something as "small" as a stranger's interactions is really rather big and remembered for a long time.