Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekend Cooking: Dinner at Coyote Crossing


One of the best places for a summertime get-together in the Philadelphia area is a restaurant called Coyote Crossing, which happened to be where I dined last evening with friends I've known for nearly 25 years.  I adore everything about this place (which isn't compensating me in any way for this post). Granted, I'm not a restaurant connoisseur by any means, but I am pretty particular about my Mexican food, which happens to be Coyote Crossing's claim to fame. In my opinion, there's no place better for authentic Mexican. 

And the dinner we had last night was amazing.  We started off with regular iced teas while waiting for one person to arrive, and then moved onto margaritas. 

I'd suggested a pitcher, but our very attentive and extremely patient (even as we lingered slightly too long) waiter suggested that we might want a tower.  None of us knew what that was, exactly, so you can imagine the astonished looks on our faces (and those from a few other bemused and possibly a bit jealous other patrons) when this thing arrived: 

  
I don't have a picture of this that doesn't include folks who might not want to be featured in such close proximity to such a thing on this here blog, but the picture here shows it next to the pole of the umbrella canopy over our table.  (That's also one of our dining companions kind of obscured, so that gives you a sense of this.)  We promptly nicknamed this the "Tower of Power." 
I hadn't had lunch so I was starved, and my dinner did not disappoint.  My friend D. had the Tequila Lime Salad (pictured below) with corn, black beans, red pepper, red onion, avocado, cilantro, and pico vinaigrette topped with grilled chicken. (These people read my blog, so my taking pictures of their dinners didn't phase them a bit.) 


My dinner was this freakin' awesome Coyote Veggie Burrito (pictured below) with poblano onion strips, rice, corn, and black beans. It was topped with a pumpkin flower sauce (whatever that is, but it was damn good) and avocados.


My friend J. had these chicken quesadillas, which weren't on the menu and which tells you how awesome of a place this is that they would make something made to order. ("If I'm here, you can have whatever you want," said our waiter.) She had a Caesar Salad with this.


And finally, my to-die-for dessert.  Cheesecake wrapped in a flour tortilla dusted with cinnamon and sugar, with chocolate sauce for dipping.  (I had two of these; the other two were shared with my friend T.)



Heaven on earth ... made especially so when shared with wonderful friends and great memories. 

Coyote Crossing is located at 800 Spring Mill Road in Conshohocken, PA (pronounced "KON-shah-HOCK-kin") and in my opinion is one of the best places in the Philadelphia region for authentic Mexican food.  


And Weekend Cooking is a feature hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

8 comments:

TheBookGirl said...

Great food and great friends...a winning combination to be sure.

That "tower" is amazing :)

Elizabeth said...

The Tower of Power is awesome. I'm glad you had such a good time with old friends!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wow, you should notify the Chamber of Commerce, because this post definitely makes me want to visit Conshohocken, PA !!!

Joy Weese Moll said...

Love the "tower!" What fun. The food looks amazing -- such pretty plating. If they taste half as good as they look, it must be awesome!

Kate said...

That's a heck of a tower. And dang it, you've made me really, really crave a good Mexican meal while there's no place around me for it!

Melissa said...

All ~ we could not believe it when that tower showed up at our table. Truly, I've never seen anything like it.

Rhapsody ~ Conshy (as it's known in these parts sometimes) would be lucky to have you. (It's not much of a tourist destination, as it is a former mill town on the river with some kick-ass restaurants.) But you have a standing invitation to visit Philly anytime and I'll be your tour guide.

Joy ~ the food was delicious, amazingly so. I eat Mexican out at two places: this, and a place called Poco's in Doyletown, PA (not sure if that is still there; it's been years since I've been there).

Kate ~ I completely understand ... you'll notice I live in Delaware and had to go to PA for this. :)

Beth F said...

Whoa!!!! Conshee is just down the road from my in-laws. I MUST try this place. What a fabulous post and so great to be with good friends.

Melissa said...

Beth ~ definitely try and go when the weather is nice and you can sit outside. One of my friends said it was exactly like being in a Mexican resort, which is the atmosphere they try and create. Regardless of when you go though, you definitely need a reservation (especially if you're intending to eat outside - specify this in your reservation).