Saturday, August 13, 2011

Any Road Will Take You There. (Maybe.)



Display at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh
Taken by me on August 15, 2011 


"And I've been traveling through the dirt and the grime
From the past to the future through the space and the time
Traveling deep beneath the waves 
In watery grottoes and mountainous caves 
But oh Lord, we've got to fight

With the thoughts in the head, with the dark and the light

No use to stop and stare
And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there." 
George Harrison ~ "Any Road"


Right now, there's an empty seat in a women's entrepreneurship course taking place at a university supposedly not too far from here. I signed up for that very seat late Thursday afternoon, paying my $30 registration fee online, and looking forward to being somewhat of a professional for a couple hours.  That hasn't happened too much in the past three months, and truth be told, I'm getting a bit antsy with this being unemployed crap.  

Most likely my next job will be full-time, in my current field, slaving away for 40+ hours a week for someone else who has the potential to pull the rug out from under me by firing me on a dime (yeah, I'm not bitter) but what I'd really like to do is be my own boss and launch a consulting business.  Among the (many) pros: I have the experience (20 years in this field) and I'm good at what I do.  Among the (many) cons: I'm in a new city where I don't know anyone else other than the three people who live with me. 

So it was that I woke up at 5:45 this morning, cobbled together a professional-looking outfit among the unpacked clothes, and headed toward the city. 

Almost immediately, I found myself off course.  (Even with the ease of OnStar I can still become directionally-challenged.) I missed an exit, recalibrated the OnStar directions, and quickly realized the directions from the university's website and the ones being read to me via OnStar were not in sync.  

This was at 7:40 and the course was set to start at 8:45.  

OK, I thought.  No problem.  Plenty of time to figure this out.  

Because I'm writing this when I should be in the class, you can probably figure out that the directions got a bit screwed up. You see, there are at least two roads in Pittsburgh with the same exact address. One is on a university campus.  The other is a Private Drive leading to a gated mansion, in one of the ritziest communities in the area. 

Guess which one OnStar took me to? 

I knew something was wrong when I hadn't crossed either of the three rivers, when I hadn't gone through the Fort Pitt tunnel (which I was kind of looking forward to, because the view coming out of said tunnel is supposed to be awesome), and when I wasn't seeing any signs whatsoever for the university I needed to be at. 

At this point, it was approaching the start of the class, with only mere moments to go.  Even if I could somehow manage to find the university and the building itself and get parked, I figured I'd be walking in a good 15 minutes late.  

Maybe you're not meant to be in that class today, I thought, trying to take the situation for what it was and not as a referendum on the merits of this consulting notion of mine or the probability of ever getting another job. Maybe there's some other reason for the messed up directions.  Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to figure out the way to get back home.

Pretty soon, landmarks started looking familiar and I was headed back from whence I came.  Logging onto my laptop, I discovered where I was and where I needed to be. It was then that I realized what happened, with the two identical addresses in two different parts of the city.

Unlike Delaware, this is a city of many roads. And one of these days, even if I don't know where I'm going, I know one of those roads will take me where I need to be. 


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Book Dragon said...

I'm sorry you missed your class, did you still have a good day?

I have a long story about that kind of thing that lead to the kids not asking if we were lost but can you find your way home from here.

I just may make a blog post out of the story {shrug}