Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weekend Cooking: Corn Chowder


Let me preface this "saved for a rainy day" post by saying that I hope everyone in the path of Hurricane Irene stays safe this weekend.  Even though we're out of storm's way, about 99.9% of the people we know aren't, especially our friends back in Delaware and those down the shore.  So, if that's you and you're reading this, just know that we're thinking of you and hoping for the best with this one, 'kay?

If you still have power and some canned foods, here's a Corn Chowder recipe that we enjoyed on a recent evening, when cooler weather than usual for August combined with a thundershower made it a perfect late summertime night for soup.  Just one problem, though:  I didn't have many of the required ingredients for, well, any kind of soup.  What I did have (left over from the move) were two cans of creamed corn and a can of potatoes, so ... corn chowder it was!

I combined two recipes to create what turned out to be a soup that ALL FOUR OF US ENJOYED.  That usually doesn't happen around here, especially with Betty proclaiming that she hates all kinds of soup.  We've instituted a "try one bite" rule at the table, and it seems to be working pretty well.  The kids have actually eaten foods that they initially resisted.

Here's the first recipe that served as my inspiration:

Smoky Corn and Potato Chowder
(from the label of a Del Monte can of corn)

1 can (14.75 ozs)  Del Monte Cream Style Golden Sweet Corn
6 oz. (about 1 cup) cubed cooked ham or smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 can (14.5 oz) Del Monte Whole New Potatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
1 can (15.25 ozs) Del Monte Whole Kernel Golden Sweet Corn, drained
1 cup (4 ozs) shredded smoked cheddar, Swiss, or gouda cheese
green onion slivers, optional

Stir milk into cream corn in large saucepan.  Add ham or sausage, potatoes and whole kernel corn.
Heat through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.  Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with onion, slivers, if desired.

Corn Chowder
This recipe came from allrecipes.com and is the one that I followed most closely, with a few variations.  My notes are in italics.  I also apologize for the lack of photos.

1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter
2.5 cups of water  (I used No-Chicken broth)
2 cans creamed corn
4 potatoes, cubed (I used a can of Del Monte whole potatoes)
2 cups milk
1.5 tsp salt
3/4 tsp. salt
minced parsley

Saute onion in butter till tender. Add water (in my case, the broth), corn and potatoes, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.  Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, salt, pepper.  Cook for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle parsley to garnish.

I decided to garnish with cheddar cheese (as per the first recipe) as well as vegetarian bacon, which was a suggestion in the comments of the allrecipes.com version. At first I thought it was a bit too sweet for my taste, but I liked it a lot, as did everyone else.  I served this with pierogies.

Again, stay safe this weekend, everybody!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone with a food-related post to share. Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, quotations, gadgets, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. 

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

7 comments:

TheBookGirl said...

We are hunkering down. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as first thought, but we can only hope for the best.

My husband loves corn chowder -- probably his favorite soup!

Beth F said...

I can't tell you how many times I forget to take photos or I'm just too busy juggling pots and pans and setting the table that there just isn't time.

Anyway, I like having a few things on hand that I can make even when I think there is nothing in the house. This soup sounds perfect. Easy to keep a few cans on hand.

Nan said...

I'm a little queasy about cooked milk for some reason, so I make mine with just sautéed onions, chopped potatoes, and frozen corn. Then I take it out, and my husband adds his own milk. :<)

Vicki said...

I'm saving this for when it turns cold. I live in Florida so don't have many recipes like this.
Here's My Recipe

JP said...

Yum! This sounds good! My boyfriend loves corn, so maybe he would eat this with me :)

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I love corn chowder. I have a Ham & Potato Chowder that I add corn to and put in homemade bread bowls. I'm waiting for the weather to cool off enough to warrant me making soup!

2 Kids and Tired Cooks

Margot said...

My family has always loved corn chowder. I make mine similar to your second recipe. Instead of water I use cream or milk. I usually add either ham pieces or bacon pieces. It's just about time to bring that recipe out again. We're having cool nights now.