Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Tour: Irma Voth, by Miriam Toews (DNF)

Irma Voth
by Miriam Toews
Harper Collins 
2011
255 pages 


A note before I get into my thoughts on this one: I participated in the book tour of Irma Voth with host TLC Book Tours and was scheduled to have this one published here on the blog here last Friday, 9/23.  Alas, I wound up just saving the post instead of actually SCHEDULING the post, hence the reason it is appearing today. My apologies to Trish from TLC Book Tours and the publisher for the oversight and for any inconvenience this may have caused. OK, onto my thoughts (not quite a review as I didn't finish this one.)

I really wanted to like this one.  I truly did.  The description of this novel, by new-to-me author Miriam Toews, sounded so different than anything else I'd read and seemed very intriguing.

Irma Voth is 19, married, and living in a Mennonite community in Mexico. With the exception of her younger sister, Irma is pretty much estranged from her family.  A filmmaker arrives in town to make a documentary and hires Irma as a translator.  Irma befriends Marijke, an actress in the film and ...well, that would be as far as I got with this one.

I can't really point to one specific element of this story that made me give up after 54 pages.  My two main issues were that the plot seemed to be all over the place, kind of disjointed and unstructured.  Also, as much as I tried, I didn't feel connected to any of the characters. Both of these were factors in making me lose interest.

Normally I don't have any problem abandoning books that aren't working for me, but I did with this one because I was reading it as part of a TLC Book Tour.  I don't do many book tours - and maybe I shouldn't do any, period, because this is now the second toured book that I didn't quite enjoy.  It left me in a conundrum about what to do about the review, but after talking to the ever-so-gracious-and-understanding Trish, I decided to treat this one like any other DNF and just be honest.

Bottom line? This one just didn't work for me.  However, I'm planning to donate this ARC to my local library in hopes that Irma Voth will find a reader or two who will fall deeply in love with all that she has to offer.

Click here for a list of other bloggers participating in the tour. 

I received a free copy of Irma Voth from the publisher, via TLC Book Tours, in exchange for my honest review.  I was not compensated in any way. Thanks so much to Trish for including me on the tour.  


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Books touch readers in many different ways - some we love, some we hate, some we can't figure out why it doesn't grab us. The overview does seem interesting, so I can see why it would have drawn you in, but too bad it didn't quite keep your interest. :(

I had a problem with posting over the weekend - I set a post to be automatically scheduled to post on Sunday at 6 am, and lo and behold, it was 8 am and still unposted. Ah, well, such is the life in an online world. It happens.

LBC said...

I felt similarly in the early pages, but the book actually did get much better. Something about the number of characters was bothersome to me in the early part, and I think that is just a personal thing. It is why I will probably not ever feel much love for Russian novels, no matter how hard I try.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Oh, this is disappointing because I like Miriam Towes. I've been wanting to read this one and the memoir about her father. Hmm.

heathertlc said...

I'm sorry this one didn't work for you but I'm glad you decided to post your thoughts anyway.

Thanks for being a part of the tour Melissa!

reviewsbylola said...

Sorry you didn't like this one. I have a TLC tour stop on my blog later this week for a book that I didn't finish as well. I feel very guilty about it but I really didn't like the writing style and I figured I would just write an honest review.