Thursday, September 1, 2011

In Which I Sign Up for R.I.P. (R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril) VI


Oh, you're all killing me here with all the posts about the R.I.P. (R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril) Reading Challenge, currently in its 6th year of being hosted by the wonderful Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings.

I had all good intentions of signing up last year. In fact, with some minor modifications, this very post is the very introductory post I wrote EXACTLY A YEAR AGO on September 1, 2010 and which promptly went to die a quick death in Drafts.

Now, it is being exhumed.

Let it be known that I am not normally a horror, mystery, thriller, gothic, whatever kind of reader. Not in the least.  But, you know, there is something about this time of year here in the United States, where the mornings are crisp and cool and the night creeps in ever so earlier, where you can feel autumn in the air. This season just lends itself to a nice mildly spooky story or two. Am I right?  (I am, which is why this annual event is so popular.)

And for someone like me, who doesn't normally read creepy-crawly books, there's something kind of intriguing, kind of dangerously naughty, about this genre.  For example, I distinctly recall reading Edgar Allan Poe in middle school and falling in love with the man. 

And then, not having anything to do with him for ... well, the next three decades of my life.

(Hey, it happens.)

Yet when I was in Baltimore a year and a half ago for a conference, what did I purchase as my souvenirs? 


Because these have been on my TBR shelves for a year and a half, I thought these would be the perfect choices for Carl's R.I.P. Challenge.  

And then I thought, since the challenge neatly coincides with September being Read Your Own Books Month (separate post to come on that) what other books on the TBR shelf do I have that might qualify?  Turns out, a few. 

The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner.  This was the first book I won in a giveaway (maybe from Iliana at bookgirl's nightstand?) three years ago.  I was so excited to read this and here it still sits. 

Similarly, I'm embarrassed that I haven't yet read my blogging friend Karen Harrington's book, Janeology.  She signed it and everything. At least a year or two ago. So, onto the list it goes.

And finally, The Husband and I have a very good, longtime friend named Ken Goldman who is a horror writer. Back in the day, The Husband and I were privileged to read several of his short stories, pre-publication. I loved every single one (and there's one that we still talk about to this day, two decades later.) He wrote a novella, which I purchased and downloaded to my Kindle as one of my birthday presents. In April. Ken, your Desiree makes my list for the R.I.P. Challenge.

I'm not making any promises that I will actually read all five of these, which is why I am signing up as a participant at the Peril the Third level. (Requirement is to read one book.)


Some other possibilities:

The Complete Tales of Washington Irving (from my TBR shelf)
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, by Eric Larson (from my TBR shelf)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Children, by Random Riggs
Just an Ordinary Day: The Uncollected Stories, by Shirley Jackson (from my TBR shelf)
The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson
The Bad Seed, by William March
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger  (from my TBR shelf)
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by Katherine Howe
The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
Wicked, by Gregory Maguire (from my TBR shelf and as a consolation prize for not seeing the musical yet)
A Monster Calls, by Patrick Ness

I'm definitely not committing to reading all of these - just one book fulfills the challenge requirements, so this is definitely doable - so we'll just have to see where the spirit takes us over the next two months, shall we?

How about you? Are you coming along on this spooky challenge? (Please do. This 'fraidy cat reader just might need someone to hold her hand.)

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

11 comments:

Kailana said...

Glad to see you are joining in this year!

reviewsbylola said...

The Time Traveler's Wife and The Devil in the White City are both awesome books. Enjoy!

Trish said...

I have Haunting of Hill House on my list too. Poe is classic RIP reading! Love him.

DesLily said...

RIP is such fun... you can sign up to read 1 book and read many! I always read more then I sign up for! I think you will too!

Book Dragon said...

I'll hold your hand :)

I should have followed your plan and had a great list but only commit to read one of them. I'm reading four!

off to add Janeology to my list....

Amanda said...

I should look into The Shape of Mercy.

TBM said...

This is my first year for the challenge. I don't usually read scary novels either. I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun and that I don't get too scared. Enjoy. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

This is my first year joining and I cannot wait! The Devil in the White City is incredible, I hope you enjoy it! It's going to be out in theaters in the next year or so with Leonardo DiCaprio playing the role of HH Holmes!

Kate said...

Glad that you are joining!

The Devil in the White City was a really engrossing read. The Haunting of Hill House is also one of my favourite novels; I try to read it yearly in the autumn.

Happy reading to you!

stacybuckeye said...

I just signed up to read two. No idea what they'll be yet!

Stephanie said...

If you can fit in Miss Peregrine in your RIP reads you should do so - it was excellent!