Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Sunday Salon: BBAWhere Did That Week Go?


What's that saying about the best-laid plans? ("The best-laid plans of mice and men always go astray.") Add "and Melissa" to the mice and men part, and that's how I feel about the past week. I had all good intentions of participating in BBAW (Book Blogger Appreciation Week), which I usually enjoy for so many reasons.

(For those not in the know, BBAW is a week to celebrate books and the bloggers who love and promote them. It's a week to congratulate those who have won awards and to become acquainted with new blogs. Indeed, three years ago, BBAW was my own introduction to this book blogging community that I have come to love. It's always a fun week - and it always goes by in a nanosecond.)

That was definitely the case for me this week. My plans to write pre-scheduled posts didn't happen. And my new job revved into full force this week, and coincided with traveling more than 300 miles (each way) back to Delaware to finally complete the sale of our former house - which meant that keeping up with BBAW (or life in general) was impossible over the last few days.

Even though I was an absentee member of the BBAW community this week, it occurred to me that weeks like the ones I had are very much part of what makes the book blogging community such a wonderful one.  We all have lives away from the computer and our books, and when we don't have the chance to post as often as we'd like, everyone understands. We support each other online and off - and believe you me, I absolutely saw (and appreciated) that so much over the past 8 months with the craziness of our move. That, right there, is what makes the blogging community so awesome.

And speaking of awesome, can I tell you about the awesome book I just started on Friday evening? I was at my mom's house and the cool weather seemed to be the perfect evening for a R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI Challenge book. In my purse was Ransom Riggs's debut novel, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I was immediately captivated by this deliciously creepy story about 16 year old Jacob, who travels to a remote island off the coast of Wales to discover the truth behind a family mystery involving a orphanage and the peculiar children who lived (or, maybe, still live) there.

See, this is an example of a book that would not be on my radar AT ALL if it wasn't for bloggers.  It's considered a Young Adult book (what, because the main character is 16?) but I don't necessarily agree.  I can see this appealing to all ages, really.  And it is absolutely worth all the accolades that it has been getting from the bloggers. It's so different and original, and I cannot put this down.

In other bookish news this week, my new job has me spending a lot more time in my car than I've been accustomed to lately ... hence, my return to audiobooks.  This week I started listening to Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.  This one has received mixed reviews on the blogs, and now that I'm almost halfway finished, I can understand why it's not appealing to everyone. With 19 CDs, it's a little on the long-winded side. I wasn't sure whether I was going to continue with this, but something about this one is keeping me interested. I do like books where you really get to know the characters, and this certainly fits that bill. I'm just not convinced Freedom is worth all the hype and accolades, though. We'll see. Given this week's travel schedule, I will probably finish this up this week.

For now, I'm going to try and finish up reading some BBAW posts ... although I know I'll never get to all of them. Hope everyone had a great week ... and congratulations to all who were nominated for and won awards!



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Whew, it sounds like you've had a busy week!

I always think it's silly when books are marked as YA just because the main character is younger. That's NOT the definition of YA!

I'm thinking I'll pass on Freedom, at least for now. I read The Corrections earlier this year and was, well, rather unimpressed. To each his/her own, I suppose!

Karen Harrington said...

You had a lot on your plate! I have MISS PEREGRINE'S home on my TBR! (Also, I mentioned you as one of my fave blogs in my BBAW post. :) Hope you have a great week.

Julie said...

Like you, I keep seeing Miss Peregrine's Home on blogs and I really need to take the time to read it! I'm glad to hear another good review. Have a great week!

reviewsbylola said...

Although I got to participate in BBAW, my plans of being ready and organized going into it certainly didn't happen! I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a few days ago and thought it was spectacular. Perfect for RIP!