Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Summer Readin', Had Me a Blast ....


And here we are, at the unofficial end of summer here in the States.  Things are definitely a bit quieter on the interwebs today, given that most of us are celebrating Labor Day weekend.  Other than a little back-to-school and grocery shopping, we don't really have any grandiose plans for the holiday.

Yesterday, I wrote nonstop - two scheduled book reviews (The Handmaid's Tale and The Winters in Bloom) plus a 9/11 related post - so this week's Sunday Salon will be a little on the lighter side with a recap of the books I read in July and August.

It feels like I read more than 8 books during the past two months, but then I realized that there were an extraordinary amount of DNFs in that timeframe. We're talking 7 of them!  So for almost every book that I finished, I abandoned one.  Still, given all that was going on with our move this summer, averaging a book a week isn't too bad.

Books Read in July (links take you to my reviews):


Children and Fire, by Ursula Hegi 



The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Get Pregnant, by Dan Savage



By Nightfall, by Michael Cunningham


Made for You and Me: Going West, Going Broke, Finding Home, by Caitlin Shetterly 

Books Read in August:


Ford County, Stories by John Grisham


The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood 


Do More Than Give: The 6 Practices of Donors Who Change the World
by Leslie R. Crutchfield, John V. Kania, and Mark R. Kramer

The best part about this list is that I liked all of them.  September's getting off to a good start, too.  This week I finished The Winters in Bloom by Lisa Tucker, which is being published by Atria Books, an imprint of Simon and Schuster, on September 13.  I recently signed up for NetGalley (which I absolutely love and am starting to become hooked on) and this is the first e-galley I've reviewed through them.  My review will be up on the 13th.  (I'll give you a preview now:  I really liked this one.)

Today, after our errands are done, I'm planning to finish up Marriage Confidential: The Post-Romantic Age of Workhorse Wives, Royal Children, Undersexed Spouses, and Rebel Couples Who Are Rewriting the Rules, by Pamela Haag. I had been in the middle of this during the move and had to return it to the library unfinished. Fortunately, our new library was able to get it for me from another county. (Gotta love our Access Pennsylvania system!)  Then, maybe, it will be onto Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, which is a book club read for later this month and due back to the library on ... Tuesday.

Hope your Sunday (and your holiday weekend, if you're celebrating) is turning out to be a good one!

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wow! You've read some fantastic books lately. Thank you for sharing these.

I'd never change any endings of any books!

Here's my Sunday Salon!

And it's time for
Readerbuzz's September Giveaway!

unfinishedperson.com said...

So did you get to Unbroken? If not, get to it at some point. It's a good 'un. :)