Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Books That Everyone Has Read But Me


This week, the fine folks over at The Broke and the Bookish are wanting to know (for their Top Ten Tuesday bookish meme) about the top 10 books everyone has read ... except for me.

And with the exception of #5 and maybe #6, I could probably add that these are books that I am guessing I will NEVER read.  I'm OK with that ... although when you see some of them, I might get kicked out of the book blogging community indefinitely.

In no particular order, my Top 10 Books That Everyone Has Read But Me include:

1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling.  Never read a single one, never saw the movies, never really had much of a desire to do so.  Yeah, I know. Something is wrong with me.

2. Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer.  As with Harry Potter, I've never read any of this series and don't plan to.

3. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (#2 in The Hunger Games series).  I read The Hunger Games.  I even liked The Hunger Games.  But one book was enough for me.

4. Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins (#3 in The Hunger Games series). Please see above.

5. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.  Now this is one I will probably eventually get around to reading.  It has been on my radar since it came out but given the hoopla surrounding the movie, it feels even moreso that I am the last person to read this.

6. Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden.  I own this one. I just haven't read it yet. I almost did when Carmela was reading it in bed during one episode of "The Sopranos." (God, how I miss "The Sopranos.")

7.  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larsson.  Same goes for all the others that follow this one.  (I'm not much of a series girl, if you haven't figured that out by now.)

8. The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold.  Owned it. Looked at it. Donated it. Decided subject matter was a little too intense for me.

9. Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert.  With all the hype on this one, it feels as if I could recite the book verbatim.  Just no interest in this one.

10. Anything by Stephen King.  There's a very good chance that I might eventually read (or listen to) On Writing. But it's a good bet that I'll continue avoiding everything else of his.  'Cause I don't do horror and scary, and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I've heard Mr. King is kind of good at that sort of thing.

(I know this to be true because I've watched "Salem's Lot" and "Misery," the latter of which I absolutely loved.)

It's funny, but if you peruse the links of those participating in this week's Top Ten Tuesday, many of these books show up on others' lists too.

How about you? Have you read (or not read) any of these?


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I have read Harry, several times. I read Twilight, but have zero desire to read the others. I also read The Hunger Games and would like to read the others...eventually. (Have you read Divergent? I LOVED it more than Hunger Games.) I have The Help from the library right now, but it's due back and I can't renew, just haven't been into it. I haven't read Atonement or Middlesex, which everyone has. Or Black Beauty. I finally read Anne of GG recently and didn't love it!

reviewsbylola said...

My opinion would be don't bother with Eat, Pray, Love. I thought it was a bore! And Twilight . . . I know I am in the minority, but I hated it. I read the second book too and it was even worse.

Julie @ Read Handed said...

I've read The Lovely Bones, which was intense but good and Eat, Pray, Love, which was disappointing (not worth it). I just checked out The Help from the library, so I'm excited to read it once I finish the ginormous book I'm reading now. I'm with you on Harry Potter and Twilight. I just have no interest.

Julie said...

I read the first half of the first Harry Potter book to my son. That's as far as we got. I expect we may finish it eventually. I read the first Twilight book and liked it but had no desire to read the rest. I also looked at The Lovely Bones but never read it. I have Eat, Pray, Love on my shelf but not sure I'll ever read it. I have read all the Hunger Games books, The Help and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I liked all of those.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

OMG, you should have worn a chador at BEA! LOLOL

Actually, I have only read the first 4 of the Harry Potter books, and have also not read your numbers 6, 8, 9, and 10 (#8 because I totally refuse to, too icky).

nomadreader said...

What a fun list! I totally expected to say, "I haven't read any of those either!" But I have. I've read all of them except Memoirs of a Geisha and Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, and I'm pretty sure I own both of them. Clearly, I fall into hype too much. I only even loved two of these books (Catching Fire, infinitely better than The Hunger Games, and Eat, Pray, Love, which moved me immensely in my early twenties. Would it still today? That's hard to say.)

Marce said...

Great list, the only ones I am considering would be Lovely Bones and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Like you read Hunger Games, I wasn't impressed enough to continue on.

The others, no interest actually.

The movie of The Help was so good but it is my type of movie not book.

Melissa said...

I'm gasping in astonishment, Melissa. GASPING!!

I haven't read #5 or #6, but they're on my to-read list.

Florinda said...

I did the exact same thing with #8!

You actually might turn out to be the last person to read The Help, which suddenly seems more controversial since it was turned into a movie.

And I've never read anything by Stephen King EXCEPT On Writing (and his columns in Entertainment Weekly), but I highly recommend that one.

heavenisabookstore said...

I have read almost all of these books! Surprise! I am usually one of those that hasn't read any of the "list" books, but man you are missing out. There are some fine books on this list!!