Monday, October 31, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


We're coming off of a whirlwind weekend, one that involved a six hour drive back to Philly on Friday night; my mother-in-law's annual Halloween party for her grandkids on Saturday (the reason for the trip); a laughter-filled, relaxing, oh-my-God-I-didn't-realize-how-much-I-freakin'-needed-this "grown-up" (i.e., we all had babysitters!) dinner on Saturday night with our very good friends ... and some interesting weather thrown in there in the form of a freakish October snowstorm. That's highly unusual for Philadelphia, and at times, this looked downright blizzard-like.  Definitely frightful, in the spirit of Halloween.

So, here we are for "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?"  which is hosted by my friend Sheila from Book Journey and where we talk about what we're reading this week.  I usually cover this in my weekly Sunday Salon posts, but since I didn't get to that this weekend, I'm here (and happily so) instead.

Well.  What I'm not reading this week is the book I started reading last week ... The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards. I loved The Memory Keepers Daughter, couldn't finish The Secrets of a Fire King (her short story collection) and now The Lake of Dreams falls into that latter category as well.  I'm only on page 27 and already I can tell that I don't care about these characters.  I've also had one too many "what the hell?" moments for it being this early in the novel. I thought this was just me, but after perusing several reviews on Goodreads, I don't think I'm in the minority. (Sometimes spoilers can be a good thing.) So ... back to the library it goes.


Now that we're turning the calendar page to November, I'm becoming more focused on books that qualify for those challenges I still have some holes in for this year. (I know I say that I only do these challenges for fun, but when I see that I have only a book or two left in order to complete said challenge, then it is definitely game on.)

I was having considerable difficulty finding a book that satisfies the "jewel or gem" category for the"What's In a Name" challenge, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  Then I realized I still had the short story collection Gold Boy, Emerald Girl by Yiyun Li from NetGalley, so I will be reading that this week on my Kindle.

I'm also finishing up my current audiobook, Anne Frank Remembered; The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family by Miep Gies.  Everyone knows the story of Anne Frank, but this memoir by the woman who protected them gives a different perspective.

On the blog front this week, I'm planning to have a wrap up post for the R.I.P. Challenge and an introductory post for NaNoWriMo.  (Yeah.  I've succumbed to the insanity.  AGAIN.  Why I do this to myself, I have no clue.)

Happy reading week, everyone ... and a Happy Halloween to all who are celebrating (and happy NaNoWriMo-ing if you're embarking on this as the clock strikes midnight tonight.)


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Tanya Patrice said...

Oh boy - I have 2 books reading now that I'm not crazy about either, but going to stick them out. For the "What's in a Name Challenge - for the "jewel or gem" category, I might have cheated a little and picked "City of Glass" (Cassandra Clare).

Amy said...

If you're interested in Anne Frank, you might want to check out Francine Prose's amazing book, Anne Frank: The Book, The Life, The Afterlife. She examines the diaries from several perspectives: historic, literary, and educational. It's a wonderful piece of scholarship, yet very readable.

Melissa said...

Oh, Amy, isn't that Francine Prose book wonderful? I read it last year and loved it so much that it made an appearance onto my best books of the year list. So very well done.

Amy said...

It is really fantastic. Going back to read the diaries again after Prose's book was an entirely different experience.