Saturday, October 22, 2011

We Now Join Our Regularly Scheduled Read-a-Thon, Already in Progress

After yet another workweek (the second one in a row) that saw another 1,000 miles added to my car's odometer, I am more than ready (mentally) for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon.

What is this Read-a-Thon craziness that I speak of, you ask?  Why, it's only one of the most fun weekends of the year - and it happens twice, in April and in October. You can find out more by going here (and you can participate even if you're not a book blogger), but basically, it's an online 24 hour read-a-thon that was started several years ago by a book blogger named, appropriately enough, Dewey.  The idea was for book bloggers to devote 24 hours to reading, get caught up on our books, blog about what we were reading, and create a community of folks who love to read. The event has grown significantly, with prizes and people serving as "cheerleaders," and mini-challenges, and people reading for charity (i.e., pledging to make a donation for number of pages or books read, etc.)

Anyway, I'm participating ...sorta.  I'm a bit fried from my recent work schedule, feeling a little overwhelmed with all that there is to do.  I woke up with a headache that threatens to turn into a migraine, so that's going to be a Read-a-Thon issue if I can't get this under control. This weekend is also the ZooBoo, a Halloween event at our local zoo, and Betty is very gung-ho on going.  Plus, I am woefully behind on reviews and writing such, so there may be a bit o' blogging happening.  I may actually wind up being more of an unofficial cheerleader this time around, which is OK.

Part of the Read-a-Thon fun is making piles and lists of books we hope to read during the event, and even though my participation will be limited, that didn't stop me from doing so.  Here's my little (but ambitious, and nowhere near going to happen) stack of books.



You Are My Only, by Beth Kephart  ~ This comes out on October 25, so even though there has been lots of early buzz and great reviews on this one - so much so that it is in its second printing even before its official publication date!  I have this one on my Kindle.  Obviously.

The CHICK-tionary: From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Should Know, by Anna Lefler ~ This just arrived in the mail this week and is a review book for TLC Book Tours, so I am eager to read this. I love Anna, who I would not know if it wasn't for Beth Kephart's blog.

A Doll's House, by Henrik Ibsen ~ Just purchased last week at the library's book sale, and it is definitely the perfect Read-a-Thon length.  And, it will satisfy a reading challenge.

The Comfort of Strangers, by Ian McEwan 


H, by Elizabeth Shepard 


Shining On: 11 Star Authors' Illuminating Stories


Something Inside of Me: How to Hang On to Heaven When You're Going Through Hell, by Chitoka Webb ~ I met Chitoka at this year's Book Bloggers Convention and she was absolutely delightful.

Poetry is often a good choice for the Read-a-Thon, and to that end, I have four collections in my stack, all purchased last week at Paper Kite Books in Kingston, PA.

Echolalia, by Dan Waber ~ Dan is the owner, along with his wife Jennifer, of Paper Kite Books.  This one had me at the title.

Questioning Walls Open, by Jennifer Hill Kaucher ~ Dan's wife

Book of Days, by Jennifer Hill Kaucher  (I love the Enya song of the same name, so I had to get this collection.)

Mother Love, by Elizabeth Cohen ~ a new poet to me and one that I think I will like, based on the poems I glanced at in the store before buying this collection.

Overly ambitious, yes.  But abundantly fun.  Happy Read-a-Thon Day!

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Aww, I hope your headache improves. I have no desire to read when I get those... which happens often. I'm sending "feel better!" vibes your way. I have Beth's book on my readathon pile too -- it might be up next.