Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Sunday Salon: No Judy Moody for You


What today's plans were SUPPOSED to include: 

A mommy-daughter one-on-one time trip downtown to the Carnegie Library, where Megan McDonald is appearing. (Some of you might know Ms. McDonald better as the author of the Judy Moody books, as well as those featuring Stink, and many more.)

What today's plans will ACTUALLY include: 

A mommy-daughter one-on-one time trip to the next town to the Children's Express Clinic, which is an affiliate site of our local Children's Hospital.

Betty's ears have been problematic for ... awhile now.  As in, I really should have gotten this taken care of sooner. For the benefit of those still eating breakfast, let's just say that they need to be cleaned out often. So, last night, there was a lot of gunk (as per usual) but the new twist on this was that it was accompanied by a fever and headache, which concerned us.

She's feeling much better this morning, and even though the ear issues are still there, we probably COULD still go to the Megan McDonald event. But I need to exercise some parental responsibility and get this looked at by someone. (If all goes well, on the way back we might also have a chance to look at a house nearby.)  I'm also hopeful that there might be another Megan McDonald event like this sometime in the future, as she is a Pittsburgh native.  Who knew?

Anyway, bookwise, this week I listened to the audiobook version of Henrik Ibsen's play Hedda Gabler. Seriously, how the hell have I missed this classic all these years? I really liked this and it definitely had enough suspense to keep my attention, even though you could see where the plot was going. Audiobook is the way to go with this one, folks, particularly this version with Juliet Stevenson's brilliant performance as Hedda.


My fall travel schedule is winding down (thank God) so my audiobooks will need to be ones that I can listen to sporadically. Studs Terkel's Voices of Our Time is perfect for that. This is a chronological collection, spanning five decades, of 48 of Terkel's radio interviews with a wide-range of people. Some of these folks are household names; others definitely aren't (but deserve to be).


After our foray to the Express Clinic today, I'm hoping to spend some time with Conversations and Cosmopolitans, by Robert Rave and Jane Rave. I'm on the TLC Book Tour schedule for this one and my review date of ... um, this Wednesday (!!!) has crept up on me.  Fortunately, this seems to be a fairly quick read.

Because I'm scrambling to finish Conversations and Cosmopolitans, that means that Steve Jobs needs to be put on the back burner. (From what I've read of Walter Isaacson's biography in the last 70 pages, I don't think he'd be too pleased with that.) This one is interesting, but slow going for me because I only have time to read in the evenings ... and by then, my eyes are glazing over with talk of microchips and processors and whathaveyou. As expected, though, the personal details contained within this one are the most compelling parts of this book to me.

Finally, I'm still plugging away on my Kindle with Yiyun Li's short story collection Gold Boy, Emerald Girl. I'm really liking these stories - and may I say how kind of bizarre it was reading "A Man Like Him" this week as the whole Penn State saga played out everywhere I went? It's about the accusations of abuse and the repercussions on those involved. I first read this one in The Best American Short Stories 2009. I also loved "Prison," which I also read this week.

So, despite kind of a Judy Moody bummer start to our week, there's a full week of reading ahead.

I'm sure even Judy would agree with that.

P.S. I don't know about you, but I kinda need a read-a-thon of sorts. (OK. More than "kinda need."  More like "kinda desperately need.") Thankfully, Jenn's Bookshelves is once again hosting the annual Thankfully Reading Weekend during ... what else? Thanksgiving weekend.  (Which is in TWO WEEKS, PEOPLE. Holy hell.)  We're staying put for the holiday, which allows me to participate in this, as I've done in the past.

This is probably my favorite Read-a-Thon of the year (yes, even moreso than the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon) and I am thrilled that this is happening again. I'm planning to use this weekend as a final push to finish some challenges that I'm oh-so-close to completing.  Cannot possibly wait.  

Will you be joining us?

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

K A B L O O E Y said...

Oh my god, that sounds like heaven, but I'm not doing too well with the promises lately, so I may have to demur. But I'll try to jump in at last minute if time allows. I'm sure I'll read, since I always do, but the writing about it is what I can't promise. Sorry the Judy Moody day was a non-starter, but hope Betty's ears are all better.