Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Sunday Salon: A Thankfully Reading Update, and the Return of the Memorable Memoir Challenge


It's been a very low-key, relaxing Thanksgiving weekend here, which is just the way I like it.  In recent years (except for last year), we've been home for the holiday, watching parades and football to our hearts content. We also took the kids to see "The Muppets" yesterday, which was an absolutely wonderful, feel-good, must-see-this-no-matter-what-your-age movie.  They simply don't make them like this anymore (which was kind of one of the themes of the movie itself).

As I have for the past three years, I've been participating in the annual Thankfully Reading Weekend. This is becoming a new tradition for me, and I love it. Quite frankly, this is probably my favorite read-a-thon of the year.


I had hoped I'd have more to report in the way of a Thankfully Reading Weekend Update, but I'm still in the midst of my first book, High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver. I feel like I should have been able to read more than 195 pages this weekend, but I've also been using some of my reading time to catch up on your blogs. (I'm more woefully behind than ever.) Pretty sure I'll be finishing this one sometime today - and I'll have my review up in time to complete the 2011 Essay Reading Challenge (hosted over at Books and Movies) that ends this Wednesday.

Earlier this week I finally finished Gold Boy, Emerald Girl by Yiyun Li, which satisfied the "book with a jewelry or gem" requirement for Beth Fish Reads's What's In a Name 4 Reading Challenge. (For me, this was the hardest category for this one.) I really loved this collection of short stories and one novella, and honestly, I only have one criticism:  the novella "Kindness" should have been the last offering in this collection, not the first. The first half (maybe even 3/4) of  "Kindness" was not holding my interest, to be honest, and I nearly gave up on the entire book. However, I decided not to judge the entire collection on just one selection and I wound up LOVING all of the stories.

I'm very much in Reading Challenge mode this week as I'm trying to finish several that I haven't given up on yet, signing up for several new ones for 2012, and ....announcing that, yes indeed, my Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge will be returning for the 3rd year!


I promise to have all the details announced shortly, but as you're perusing the many, many challenges out there in the book blogosphere, I hope you'll consider joining the Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge either for the first time or for another year. If you've participated previously, the rules will be generally the same (with maybe more structure this time around ... and maybe even a prize or two!).

I've been a lax hostess with this one, I know, and I'm hoping you'll give me another chance this year to get my act together. I have some thoughts on ways to make this more fun and interactive for all of us who love memoirs and sharing them with others, and I'd love to have you be among us.

In the meantime, enjoy your Sunday and (for those of us in the United States) enjoy the remainder of this Thanksgiving weekend!


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I do love reading memoirs, and realized that this past year, I've read many! Yet I hadn't signed up for the challenge this past year.

I did participate the year before, though, and I think I will again.

Here's
MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I love memoirs...so glad you're doing this one again...I've got a couple more to read to complete my commitment. :)

bibliophiliac said...

My Thankfully Reading readathon was wonderful-even though I didn't read much in the way of quantity, I got to finish reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, which was superb. Blood Meridian is still working in my brain, and I don't want to pick up another novel. So I'm reading Selected Poems of Gwendolyn Brooks. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your memoir challenge-I just might join you!