Saturday, November 26, 2011

Weekend Cooking: A Tofurky. In the Crockpot. It's What's For (Thanksgiving) Dinner.


I've never had much of an issue with being a vegetarian on Thanksgiving. Truthfully, I've always been much more into the side dishes, even as a child. (Really. My Pop-Pop's mashed potatoes were so damn good that I even mentioned them in his eulogy.)

I think that's kind of true of most vegetarians. I think other people experience more agita and stress over what the hell to feed us strange birds than we do.

The Husband and I have been vegetarians for something like 15 or so Thanksgiving dinners now.  In recent years, we've discovered the delicacy of the Tofurky, which makes The Husband very happy and nostalgic.

And this year, I discovered that the Tofurky can be cooked IN THE CROCKPOT - which, since I am All About the Crockpot and since I was dealing with a doozy of a migraine/sinus headache on Thanksgiving Day, made ME very happy.

It was only the four of us for Thanksgiving, so we opted to go the very low-key and simple route.  Which it was. Between this and the microwaved side dishes I proffered (Stove Top stuffing, Birds Eye steamed corn, mashed potatoes), this was one of the easiest dinners I've ever made.

Well, until I realized that to make the "brine" for the Tofurky, I needed a packet of  "dry vegetarian onion soup mix."

I debated whether I wanted to go to out to the grocery store for this.  I decided that I most certainly did NOT and that I would take my chances by whipping up something (anything!) that resembled a substitute mix.

I found this Substitute for 1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix recipe on Food.com, and even then I had to improvise further because I only had the beef boullion granules, the onion powder, and the pepper. No matter. Toss in some frozen onions to stand in for the onion flakes and nobody is the wiser.  Put the Tofurky in the crockpot (I used a 3 quart), baste it a little bit and continue every half hour or so, and 3 hours on high later, you've got Thanksgiving dinner.


Carbohydrate heaven on a plate. Tell me this looks pretty close to what your Thanksgiving plate looked like, no? 


Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

(And just so we're all kosher with the folks at the FTC, Tofurky, Stove Top, and Birds Eye did NOT compensate me for any part of this post.  But, y'know, if they want to toss some cash my way in the spirit of gratitude, I'm not above saying no.)

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

Beth F said...

Great post. Several members of my family are vegetarians and the only thing we do differently is to make sure the stuffing is vegetarian and not cooked in the bird. The vegetarian group fills up on salad and sides and the rest of add turkey. Never a worry.

I made a huge meal for just the two of us this year. But no more cooking for me until Monday. Glad we love the leftovers.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Hmmm, I'd give tofurky a try. I'm not ready to go vegetarian but that is interesting. Interesting meme also.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have never tried Tofurky but yes, your plate looks an awful lot like mine did on Thursday.

Margot said...

I know turkey, or in your case tofurkey, is supposed to be the star of the dinner, but I really love all the side dishes. If I were a vegetarian, I would consider Thanksgiving my top feasting day.

bybookorbycrook said...

You're right, that does look remarkably similar to what us carnivores ate for Thanksgiving. Hope you had a good one (even with the sinus thingie)

Memory said...

I've spent the past several years trying to convince my meat-loving family that Tofurkies are, in fact, tasty. They refuse to believe it. I suspect they might change their minds if I direct them to this post.

caite said...

well, I would be willing to taste it...I think...lol

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I never knew such a thing as Tofurkey even existed!! How cool is that??

Kate said...

I'm not veggie but have found that after spending hours fretting about the darn bird, I'm well more into the side dishes as well. Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving with us!