Saturday, December 10, 2011

2011 Challenge Fail: Foodie's Reading Challenge (and Sign Up Post for 2012!)


Weekend Cooking is a feature hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

Apparently, I bit off much more than I could possibly chew this year by going for the (appropriately-named in my case) Glutton level of the Foodie's Reading Challenge.

Fortunately, Margot of Joyfully Retired (who hosts this challenge on its very own blog, Foodies Read 2) is hosting this one again for 2012 ... and even though I didn't clean my plate this year, I'm still heading back to the buffet table for more.

But first, a bit of clean up from 2011.  As mentioned, I signed up to read 12 "food books" - and Margot made it pretty easy for us.  "A food book is a book which is centered around food and/or drinks. That could be a cookbook, a food biography or memoir, a nonfiction book focused around a specific food, wine, chef, or restaurant. Also allowed is a fictional story in which food plays a major role."

As of today, I only managed to read 4 books out of the 12 that I hoped to get to, so I think it's time to concede this one.

The first book I read was American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Half Its Food (and what we can do about it), by Jonathan Bloom. (Links take you to my review.)  This is probably going to be tied for my favorite nonfiction book of the year.

There were also 3 cookbooks in the mix.


Recipes from the Root Cellar: 270 Fresh Ways to Enjoy Winter Vegetables, by Andrea Chesman


Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, by Robin Robertson (in addition to my thoughts on the book, the link also takes you to a recipe for Slow Cooked Spanish Beans and Rice which I make all the time).


Super Suppers Cookbook: More Than 180 Easy Family Recipes to Enjoy Tonight or Freeze for Later, by Judie Byrd, founder of Super Suppers.  I never got around to reviewing this one, but I did copy a lot of recipes that I'm hoping to try.

Even though I wasn't very successful, this was one of my favorite Reading Challenges for 2011 ... and I'm delighted that Margot is bringing it back again for a second year. All the details can be found on the Foodies Read 2 blog.  I'm going for the Pastry Chef level, in which I will strive to read 4-8 food books.  With any luck, I'll make it to the Sous-Chef level (9-13 food books).

As is usually the case when food is involved, the more the merrier!  Will you be among the Foodies joining us?



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

Amy said...

You could also subscribe to Alimentum Journal, a literary journal focused on food, with essays, fiction, and poetry.

Beth F said...

Good luck!!!! That root cellar book looks interesting. Good thing there are no challenge police . . . I'd be in big trouble.

Margot said...

I'm so glad you are back for a second try. Who cares if you didn't read all 12. The four you did read sound very good. In fact I'm going back to check on the Spanish beans and rice. Good luck ih #2.

TheBookGirl said...

Good luck with this year's list :)
Sounds like you enjoyed the books you did read for the challenge this year, and that's really all that's important.

Book Dragon said...

I went with Nibbler last year (1-3) and ended up reading 7! Most were cozies but they count :)

this year I'm for Pastry Chef too but hope to read more.

Chinoiseries said...

Ah, you did read/review 4 didn't you? I also participated and bit off more than I could chew. Will definitely give Margot's challenge another try as well. Let's all post our cookbook reviews to Weekend Cooking :)

Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post said...

Thanks for all the good book suggestions!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Sounds like a fun challenge!

Joy Weese Moll said...

That looks like some good reading if you didn't read all the books you planned. I've signed up for the 2012 challenge, too.