Sunday, December 11, 2011

Announcing The 2012 Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge


The 2012 Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge
January 1 - December 31, 2012 

It's back again for the 3rd year! (Can you believe it?) If you love memoirs as much as I do or if you simply want to add more memoirs into your reading life, then the 2012 Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge is for you!

What Counts as A Memoir?
I know there's a difference between memoir and autobiography, but for this challenge, we're going to define memoir as a record of events written by a person having intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation. Published letters, diaries, journals, autobiographies, nonfiction books on the craft of writing memoirs ... in my book, they all count as Memorable Memoirs for this challenge. (Generally, biographies don't, but I could always be convinced.)

The Rules:
Books, e-books, audiobooks, ARCs, NetGalley books are allowed.
Overlaps with other challenges are also allowed.
Re-reads are allowed.
No need to create a list of books in advance (but if you want to, please feel free!)
You don't need a blog to participate.
You must select a level.  You can increase your level, but you can't go back down.

The Dates:
January 1 - December 31, 2012. You can sign up anytime between now and throughout 2012.

The Levels (new this year!)
Diarist: read 1-4 memoirs

Autobiographer: read 5-9 memoirs

Memoirist: read 10+ memoirs.

How to Sign Up:
Write a post on your blog indicating your intent to participate and at what level (Diarist, Autobiographer, or Memoirist) then come back here and leave the link here with Mister Linky:



No blog?  No problem! Simply leave a comment that you'll be joining us and at what chosen level.

I'll have a kick off post up in early January along with some of my favorite memoirs if you need some ideas.  I'm also planning to do monthly updates, as much as possible, and there might be more surprises in store throughout the year. The most important thing is that we have fun ... and we will.

Looking forward to having you join us! Happy Memorable Memoir Reading!

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

26 comments:

Book Dragon said...

so glad you're hosting this again! Would a book about chasing a thief be good if it's written by the ones doing the chasing?

Marce said...

I'm definitely in again, I enjoyed this challenge and met my goal for trying memoirs, I read 5.

Melissa said...

Book Dragon ~ if you can make a case for it, then it counts.

Marce ~ so glad you enjoyed it and that you're back again for another year!

Jane said...

Looks like fun! I'll be shooting for 5-9.

Julie Cornewell said...

Memoirs are my favorite thing to read so I will be going for the Memoirist level: 10+ books!

Let's Book said...

I'm writing a dissertation, but can't resist trying a few challenges! So, I'm in at the baby level (1-4). Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Savvy Working Gal said...

I need a new challenge. I'm going with 5-9.

Elisabeth said...

So happy to be able to participate again! I am going for the Memorist level! Memoirs has become one of my favorite genres!

Betty said...

OK, I'm in. I did this one last year and enjoyed it and I still have a list of possibles. I think I'll go for Memorist Level 10+. I'm not a blogger, so I'll post my comments on Goodreads and post a link to it here. Thanks for hosting this one./bj

Sherrie said...

Hi!
My first Memoir challenge. I love reading about others peoples lives. I've posted at my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Shannon... said...

Looking forward to my first go round!

Rose City Reader said...

How fun! I am going to sign up at the Diarist level. I'll come back with my official post. It might take me a while because of Christmas.

Kelli Lee said...

I plan to participate as a Diarist. Fun challenge!

Gwendolyn B. said...

I'm starting out low, but I'm really hoping to make it all the way to the top! Thank you for hosting this challenge, and Happy New Year!

Melissa said...

So glad to have all of you participating! Happy New Year to everyone and happy memoir reading!

Sara said...

Sounds interesting! Love these books, but never seem to put my hands on them when selecting books. Any good suggestions?

Rose City Reader said...

I am now officially in. I am very excited about this one. Thanks for hosting!

Shellie - Layers of Thought said...

Late but in the running!

Elemillia Ucselub said...

Thanks for this challenge. Just entered :). Look forward to reading some of the memoirs that I've put off for so long.

Brooke said...

I love reading memoirs, so I'm excited about this challenge. It will 1) give me an excuse to read more of them; and 2) it's a challenge I KNOW I can meet! I'm already well on my way, and looking to hopefully double my goal.

K A B L O O E Y said...

I'm signing up again, just like last year. Also like last year, I will definitely read 10 or more memoirs, but fail to record them. If I prowl through my bookshelves and kindle, I can put a partial list together.

Elemillia Ucselub said...

Alright, I just finished my first memoir if anyone wants to check it out :)

http://personalliterarybookfrenzy.blogspot.com/2012/02/child-marriage-i-am-nujood-age-10-and.html

Looking forward to reading everyone's memoirs... :)

Ann said...

Hi,
just found your blog and I am looking forward to the companionship of fellow readers. My challenge? Love memoirs (especially if they mention food.

Betty said...

I've been a little slow to get started this year. My Dad was diagnosed with Stage IV Bladder Cancer late last year and has been very sick. He died about a month ago, so although I've been reading, I haven't been posting my reads on the blogs. So here are the ones I've read for the Memorable Memoir challenge so far: I read "Four Feet Tall and Rising" by Shorty Rossi. My thoughts posted on Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/266111928

"Beaten, Seared and Sauced: On Becoming a Chef at the Culinary Institute of American" by Jonathan Dixon. My thoughts posted on Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/237452713

"Talking with My Mouth Full: My Life as a Professional Eater" by Gail Simmons. My thoughts posted on Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/291302174

I enjoyed all three of these memoirs very much. Thanks/bj

Rose City Reader said...

I've now read two books for the challenge, but I didn't review the first one.

Here is my review of the second one, Vie de France by James Haller: http://www.rosecityreader.com/2012/05/review-vie-de-france.html. Great armchair travel that inspires duplication.

Rose City Reader said...

I've now read four book, so I have met my minimum, but I hope to finish a couple more before the end of the year. My review of Witness by Whittaker Chambers is here: http://www.rosecityreader.com/2012/08/review-witness.html