Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Sunday Salon: A Little Christmas Now



"For I've grown a little leaner, grown a little colder
Grown a little sadder, grown a little older
And I need a little angel, sitting on my shoulder
Need a little Christmas now ...."


My Christmas prep plans (what absolute bare minimum I've accomplished because I have truly NOT been in the spirit) have gotten more than slightly discombobulated this week, as we find ourselves heading back east this morning to Philadelphia (a 6 hour drive each way) unexpectedly for my grandmother's funeral tomorrow. We were already planning to go back home for the holidays for several days as of this coming Friday (and we're still planning on doing that) so this just throws a bit of a wrench into those plans.  It'll be a whirlwind trip, with not even being there for 24 hours during the early part of this week.

Needless to say, it has been a crazy week since Wednesday with not much reading getting done. I finished Michael Cunningham's wonderful A Home at the End of the World, which I loved, and a long workday on the road on Thursday allowed me to finish listening to Studs Terkel's Voices of Our Time, a really interesting and fascinating collection of 48 of his radio interviews spanning the years 1950 through 1990.

I'm honestly not sure what book is up next.  There won't be much time to read over the next couple days, and I'm only taking my Kindle with me for this 24 hour trip.  (I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to traveling WITHOUT an actual book!) I'm not focused on reading right now, nor on the challenges I have left to finish (and I am really close to finishing the last couple of them too!)

Maybe it's because I'm preoccupied with all that's going on, what with my Christmas procrastination coming to bite me in the behind this year bigtime, coupled with work craziness and some health issues. On the latter, that's nothing life-threatening, but some significant lifestyle/dietary changes and a bunch of pills and supplements that Dr. Feelgood is throwing at me. Let's just say this is NOT the best time of year to go on a low-cholesterol diet, 'mkay?

Honestly, I just want to pull a Rip Van Winkle and sleep until sometime in the middle of April.

All that being said, there was a really cool, awesome, amazing thing that happened yesterday that I just have to tell you about (otherwise, at the rate I'm going there's a good chance the holidays will go by without a mention).  In the midst of arguing with Boo about when he was going to try on the outfit I bought him for the funeral, and practicing my remarks (I'll be reading my previous blog post after all, it seems), fitting in hair cuts for The Husband and Betty, and the new cat sitter for the holidays coming over to meet us and see our disasterously mess of an apartment after I called to cancel and she didn't get the message, and finishing up some work projects for early next week ... THIS showed up at the door!


My Book Blogger Holiday Swap package ... from Danielle @the1stdaughter of There's A Book!  Honestly, there could not have been a better day for this to arrive.

Just look at what goodies we got! Darth Paper Strikes Back by Tom Angleberger, Ivy and Bean: No News is Good News by Annie Barrows, and When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead (which has been on my want-to-read list for awhile!)  Betty is now enthralled with Darth Paper, which earns Danielle major props because this is a girl who reads the Merck Manual for Pet Health as light bedtime reading.  Seriously, if it doesn't have anything to do with animals or veterinary health, Betty is not interested.  So, this is a major, major coup.  These are coming with us this morning on our car ride east.

Also included were treats like Ring Pops and jelly beans ... and a generous Amazon gift card for me, which I promptly loaded onto my account.

Thank you so much, Danielle, for bringing us a little Christmas now!

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Beachreader said...

I am so sorry for your lose. Take care of yourself and your beautiful family.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I'm sorry for your loss...and for the way your plans have gone awry. But how lovely to receive the bookish treats on your doorstep!

I love that kind of surprise.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World. I have the DVD, too...and now that I'm thinking of it, maybe I'll watch it today! Thanks!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

Amy said...

I'm sorry for your loss and also that you have to embark on a new diet right now.

But yay for Danielle doing a great job as your Santa! I hope your holiday brings you peace.

unfinishedperson.com said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I can empathize somewhat as all of my grandparents are now deceased so sadly I've been there. It never is easy...

...but I am glad to hear of your Book Blogger Holiday Swap package. What a great way to start the Christmas season with books.

stacybuckeye said...

Sorry to read about your Grandmother. Hope the holiday will bring warm memories for you.