Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Sunday Salon: November Reading Wrap Up


This feels like the first moment of downtime I've had all weekend and it's coupled with my feeling like I'm coming down with a cold or a sinus infection. Headache, stuffiness, the works. We've been on the go starting with Friday night, when we went to a huge holiday event at The Husband's work. Then, yesterday Betty and I went to the I Made It! Market, which was a craft show with more than 80 artisans, all of whom create products entirely (or mostly) handmade. (I'll have a separate post on that.)

So, I'm feeling a little run-down today. Hopefully that's all it is. Bring on the matzoh-ball soup. (Even though it's 60 degrees here in Pittsburgh. In DECEMBER! Whoooot!)

Reading-wise, I've officially thrown in the towel on the Steve Jobs biography. (You knew this was coming, right?)  I got up to page 177, decided that I've spent enough time working for assholes in my day, and that I didn't want to spend my limited free time reliving days when my bosses treated me in the manner that Mr. Jobs did with those he employed.

This article from The Atlantic explains exactly why I've had such difficulty with the book. It has nothing to do with Walter Isaacson and his writing.  I was actually liking the book for awhile there ... but at the point I decided to abandon this (prompted by it being on hold at the library), it became a little too much negativity. Which I don't need right now, thanks.

My other book this week was Love On the Big Screen by William J. Torgerson, which was sent to me for review by the author himself. This was a light-hearted, nostalgic time-warp of a novel that succeeded in taking me right back to my own college days and the group of friends that I (like the characters in the novel) spent every moment with for four years.

While I liked the story itself and the main character, I did have some issues with the actual writing itself that prevented me from giving this one more than three stars ("I liked it") on Goodreads.  It was a little wordy in parts and I felt like it could have benefited from another round of editing.  December 6 seems to be the date when most of the events take place in this, so my goal is to post my recap then.

(This satisfies my requirements for the What's in a Name 4 challenge, hosted by Beth Fish Reads. Official wrap up post to come soon.)

On tap for me this week is Michael Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World.  I've barely started this (I'm on page 5) but you know how much I absolutely love Michael Cunningham.  This one will finish up my requirements for the GLBT Challenge.

Finally, here's my reading wrap-up for November.  I listened to 3 audiobooks and read 5 (one of which was on my Kindle)


Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped Hide the Frank Family, by Miep Gies (audio)


Once Upon a Day, by Lisa Tucker (audio)


Hedda Gabler, by Henrik Ibsen (audio)  


Conversations and Cosmopolitans: Awkward Moments, Mixed Drinks, and How a Mother and Son Shared Who They Really Are, by Robert Rave and Jane Rave


The Chick-tionary: From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Needs to Know, by Anna Lefler


Gold Boy, Emerald Girl, by Yiyun Li 


High Tide in Tucson: Essays from Now or Never, by Barbara Kingsolver


Love on the Big Screen, by William J. Torgerson

Enjoy your Sunday!



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Ha! My husband threw in the towel with Steve Jobs this week, too... guess he's in good company! Hope you enjoy A Home At the End of the World. It's been years and the specifics are fuzzy, but I know I loved it.

Elisabeth said...

Hope your feeling better!

LBC said...

You had a great reading month. I hope you aren't getting sick.mi hate that feeling. Enjoy that warm weather. It is snowing where I am in Arizona.

Melissa said...

JoAnn ~ oh, I'm glad it wasn't just me with the Steve Jobs book! I'm very much in the minority, if you go by the goodreads reviews.

Elisabeth and LBC ~ I am feeling better ... thanks so much!