Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Ye Ol' Annual "Books We Got and Gave for Christmas" Post


(This is my favorite Christmas ornament of all time. I think my parents got this for me when I was in elementary school and I've had it ever since. I love it. If I could only have one Christmas ornament on my tree, this would be it.)

Anyway, it's time for the Ye Ol' Annual Books We Got and Gave for Christmas post.  I realize this doesn't help any of you who could have used this post as inspiration for your gift-giving a few weeks (or days) ago, but so be it.

Here's what we found under our tree:


Santa's big on giving books to Betty and Boo, and he left quite a few for them this year:

For Boo:
Tales of a Sixth Grade Muppet, by Kirk Scroggs
Big Nate in a Class By Himself, by Lincoln Pierce
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, by Tom Angelberger
From our friends, he also got Pittsburgh and the State of Pennsylvania: Cool Things Every Kid Should Know.  


(We gave The Strange Case of Origami Yoda as well as Darth Paper Strikes Back to our nephew.)


For Betty, Santa left three of Laurie Halse Anderson's Vet Volunteers series books (Teacher's Pet, Time to Fly, and Fear of Falling), three American Girl books (McKenna, Meet Marie Grace, Meet Cecile), and Dolphins and Whales.   (Not pictured is a reference guide to dogs.)  She also got a Barnes and Noble gift card from our friends.

Below are two books that The Husband got from his parents:



George Harrison Living in the Material World, by Olivia Harrison and The Johnstown Flood, by David McCullough.  The latter is a very strong contender to possibly become the first and only book that The Husband and I have both read, as explained in this post.

And then there was this pile:




That's my Kindle on top of the pile, which was a gift last year from The Husband.  However, I was lucky enough to get several generous Amazon gift cards (from my Book Blogger Secret Santa, my mother and stepfather, and my in-laws) and have since been in downloading heaven. So far, I've purchased The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan; The Quickening by Michelle Hoover; In Leah's Wake by Terri Guiliano LongTurning Point by my friend Melissa Luznicky Garrett; Dirt: A Story About Gardening, Mothering, and Other Messy Business, by my friend Susan Senator; Pictures of You by Carolyn Levitt; and The Obits: The New York Times Annual 2012. I've also ordered The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism, Still Love in Strange Places, by Beth Kephart, and I've pre-ordered the new Carly Simon biography, More Room in a Broken Heart. 


So, my Kindle is a-smokin'... and there's STILL $25 left on the gift cards!  From my in-laws, I also got two Marion Winik books that I've been coveting - The Glen Rock Book of the Dead and her essay collection, Above Us Only Sky. A few weeks ago, I fell in love with Mel u's review of Brandon Shire's The Value of Rain, so much so that I immediately added it to my Christmas wish list. Lo and behold, it showed up in my pile of presents from the in-laws!

Rounding out the pile is Stephen King's 11/22/63, which was my selfish gift to The Husband. (Selfish because I might want to read it myself - making this another contender for a shared book that The Husband and I might actually have in common as both having read.)

Finally, there's Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly, a gift from my mother to The Husband. My mother is a big Bill O'Reilly fan.  My Husband, not quite so much.

So there you have it, the books that we found under our tree this Christmas and that we're enjoying this Christmas season.  How about you ... did you get any books for Christmas? Any e-readers?  Do tell!

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

reviewsbylola said...

Big Nate was under our tree as well, as long as quite a few other books for my stepdaughter. I, on the other hand, did not get any books but I did get a new kindle!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

We're not quite done yet...we'll travel tomorrow and then again this weekend before I'll be able to post my final bookish gift list :) Looks like you guys racked up though!! Glad you had a wonderful holiday!!

Sue Jackson said...

I just posted our Christmas book gifts today, too!

Looks like you got some good ones in your family - lots of them here, too.

I LOVE Marion Winik - she's my favorite essayist/memoirist. Have you read The Lunchbox Chronicles? That's my favorite. I also read Above Us Only Sky but hadn't heard of the other you mentioned - I will have to look for it.

we got 11/22/63 for my father-in-law. My husband just finished it and loved it. I definitely want to read it. Stephen King is a great writer AND I love novels with a time travel plot.

Enjoy your books!

Sue

Here are our Christmas book lists:

Great Books for Kids and Teens

Book By Book

Brandon Shire said...

Thank you so much. Your post was just brought to my attention and I am flattered to have been on your Christmas list. I do hope you enjoyed the book.

Brandon