Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Sunday Salon: A Good Reading Start to the New Year


And how has your first full week of reading gone in this new year? Good? Bad? So-so?  On this end, it has indeed been a very good bookish start to 2012 and hopefully the same has been true for you, too. Two books completed, several reading challenges have titles at the beginning of their lists ... so I can't complain.

I started off the year with a book of poetry, just as I did in 2011, which I suppose now makes this a tradition.  My selection this year was the appropriately-named Book of Days by Jennifer Hill-Kaucher, which I bought last fall when I visited Jennifer's store (Paper Kite Press and Books) in Kingston, PA. (In this year of focusing on reading my own books, I wanted to start off by reading one from the To-Be-Read (TBR) pile.)

Book of Days is a collection of 41 poems, each divided seamlessly into sections headed by days of the week. To me, they're about the big and small moments that together comprise a life. I'll have a full review up at some point, but suffice it to say that I enjoyed welcoming in the new year with this one.

For yesterday's Weekend Cooking post, I reviewed Erica Bauermeister's heartwarming and thought-provoking novel Joy for Beginners. Again, another good choice for the beginning of the year, as it prompts the reader to ask what new or difficult or scary thing do you need to do within the next year to challenge yourself to grow in order to become a happier, more fulfilled and alive person?   

I switched things up to a nonfiction book for this week, and even though I just started it last night and am only on page 9, I'm already engrossed in James Maguire's fascinating American Bee: The National Spelling Bee and the Culture of Word Nerds. His style of writing is great and this reads like a novel. (Speaking of which, I'm thinking about pairing this with Myla Goldberg's Bee Season for the Truth in Fiction Challenge, which would knock another book off Mt. TBR.)

Weather-permitting, I have a day of travel on tap for this Wednesday and my audiobook of choice also happens to be one of my TBR books. I can't even remember how long ago I bought The Life All Around Me by Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons, but I do remember how much I loved Ellen Foster.  (This was one of my Best Books Read in 2008).

As for today, it's just a quiet Sunday 'round here. We're doing a drive-by of two houses we're interested in and then we'll be watching the banged-up Steelers in the playoffs. (We're Philly folks born and bred, but we have probably one more season left in us of rooting for the Birds with the way things are going for our Eagles. It's really our civic duty and for the good of the team; we have a history of defecting and then the damn city wins a championship. Happened with the Phillies, so of course it will happen again with the Eagles.)

Hope your Sunday - and your 2012 - is off to a good start!

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

You have some intriguing books ahead...I haven't read any of them, but the titles are now calling to me.

Spelling bees...I had started to wonder if they were a thing of the past. I'm glad to see that they're not, with recent books about them. I recall loving being in spelling bees...spelling was one of my best events...lol

I haven't read Bee Season, but saw the movie.

I've been wanting to check out Ellen Foster...thanks for the reminder.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

unfinishedperson.com said...

Semi-aside: I don't think you have to worry about the Eagles getting to the Super Bowl anytime soon, especially since they got rid of Johnnie Lynn. :P

As for your reading, it looks like you're off to a great start. I'm off to a slow but good one, reading Sherlock Holmes.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

American Bee sounds interesting!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I loved Ellen Foster too...forgot about the 2nd book...will have to look into that :)