Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Some Books Forgotten


I'm getting this week's Sunday Salon in under the wire tonight because my day has been spent with the usual weekend errands (library and the grocery store) as well as being preoccupied with some other kinds of books.

You see, I was always a fairly avid reader but nothing like until book blogging entered my life. In the years before that took hold, my main hobby was scrapbooking.

I still scrapbook every so often, but it has definitely fallen by the wayside. There was a time when I religiously sat down at my dining room table and created 10 pages every Friday night. When we moved into this apartment and The Husband saw Rubbermaid container after container of photos and paraphenalia coming in the door, I knew I had to try and get some control over this. Anyway, so I've been spending part of the day digital scrapbooking in hopes of completing our family's Christmas album from this past year - and to take advantage of a pretty cool Creative Memories sale.  (I used to be a Consultant, so I'm still very much a loyalist to them.)

So, I did 5 scrapbook pages tonight.  Not as many as I'd hoped to, but that's 5 more than I had when I woke up this morning.

All that being said, I only finished one book this week - and the title of this post being "Some Books Forgotten" fits this particular book quite well, because it is indeed a book I'd like to forget.  It's The Life All Around Me by Ellen Foster, by Kaye Gibbons, which sounds confusing until one realizes that this is the sequel to the bestselling (and wonderful) novel Ellen Foster.  I absolutely adored Ellen Foster and had high hopes for this (which I listened to on audio) but oh my God ... what a confusing, disjointed, rambling little book.

I liked the first 8 pages.  After that, this became a long tangent that become really tough to understand and get into.  I happen to own this (yay! another one off Mount TBR!) and I'll be donating this to the library - or somewhere - at my earliest opportunity.  I feel  kind of bad inflicting this on someone else, but ... well, maybe it will find a happy home.

I'm still reading (and, for the most part, enjoying) American Bee: The National Spelling Bee and the Culture of Word Nerds by James Maguire.  Some other reviewers have said this is repetitive in parts, which I agree with.  But it is interesting to read about the origins of the National Spelling Bee, how the words are determined (to the extent that this can be revealed), the brief profiles of the winners throughout the years (and how many are currently still involved with the Bee in a professional capacity), and how changes in society (in racial relations and gender equality) have impacted on the competition.  Part of it is also just the sheer fascination with the number of words there really are in the English language - and how few of them we really know.  This is a geeky read at its best.

This one is due back to the library with no renewals (of course) on Tuesday, so I need to spend some time with this tomorrow.  (I'm only on page 142 of 363.) I'm thinking about pairing this with Myla Goldberg's Bee Season for the Truth in Fiction reading challenge.

Hope you had a great Sunday!


copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Florinda Pendley Vasquez said...

As a variation on the word-nerd theme, you might want to check out Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis, which is about the competitive-Scrabble circuit. (Seriously.) I read it a few years ago, and it was fascinating.

So was Bee Season, come to think of it.