Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Happy National Soup Swap Day!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by my friend Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.
Now this here is my kind of holiday ... National Soup Swap Day, which just so happens to be today. (I know. I am always the chick that shows up late to the party.)

I only just heard about this a few days ago, but I absolutely love the concept. It's a simple one and all explained on SoupSwap.com, where there's a handy map to find yourself a real-life Soup Swap happening near you.

(My Delaware peeps, take note! There's one happening in Wilmington next weekend!)

Basically, you round yourself up some soup-loving friends and set a date for your swap. (The actual Soup Swap Day is the third Saturday in January but of course, you can swap any time.) Then, you cook up six quarts of one kind of soup, dole it out into containers, and freeze them.  On the day of your Soup Swap, everyone brings their containers of soups to the designated party place and everyone goes home with soup to fill their freezer for the dreary winter months ahead.

This is truly my idea of fun.

So. In lieu of not having an actual Soup Swap to go to, nor any actual people to swap soup with in real life, let's do the next best thing.  You're all invited over to the blog, right now, for my Virtual Soup Swap. Never mind the 6" of snow we have outside. We'll just pretend that our crockpots have been crockin', our stockpots have been simmering, the wine has been chilled and opened and poured.

Great, you're all here! So glad to see all of you! Let's get started. Here are some of my favorite soups that I've cooked up for you. (Yeah, I know for the real Soup Swap you're supposed to bring just ONE soup ... but let's just make believe I have all the time in the world to make all of these soups to share with yinz.)

I don't have a picture of this one, but it definitely tastes like the real thing! 

Deborah Madison's recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. 
One of my favorite tomato soups ever. (And one of my favorite cookbooks.)


from Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody 
Another one of my favorite tomato soups. 

from Stephanie O'Dea's awesome blog A Year of Slow Cooking 
and cookbook Make It Fast, Cook It Slow



I make this every New Year's Day (this is also a winner from Stephanie's blog and cookbook) and I admit that I actually like it the next day or so much better. In fact, I just had it for dinner tonight. Nobody else was in the mood for soup and I was (there's 6" of snow outside; you have to eat soup!) so I just went into the freezer and took the last container of this from New Year's for myself.  (The rest of the family had pasta and vegetarian meatballs.) One caveat: this isn't all that pretty to look at. It's kind of an "earthy" soup. But dang, it is delicious. And filling. And very nutritious.



I don't know who Bill Johnson is, but his would be a recipe from Family Circle magazine that my mother has held onto since 1976, when my aunt gave it to her. (And this not-so-good photo would be from my cell phone, which is how I took this picture of the bowl of clam chowder my mom made for me when I stayed over her house one winter's night.)

From Betty Crocker Easy Everyday Vegetarian


Not the best picture, I know, but if you are a fan of split pea soup, this is a good one. 

Thanks so much for coming to my Soup Swap! I can't wait to try your soups. Let's do this again real soon, 'kay? 



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

What a fabulous idea!

Linda said...

Yum. Those soups look delicious!

Beth F said...

I made lamb stew on Friday night and tortellini soup last night. Snow on the ground is definitely soup/stew weather. I LOVE the soup swap idea. So much better than a cookie swap. Really.

heidenkind said...

Mmmm, I love soups. A soup swap sounds divine! One of my favorite winter soups is ribollita soup, with pancetta, beans, kale, Parmesan, and stale bread--yum! Mix in a pot with a can of tomatoes and beef broth, and you have a delicious soup.

Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post said...

Wonderful! I love soups so! I am making minestrone tomorrow. I make Panera's potato soup so I will definitely try their broccoli

Heather said...

how wonderful. I just finished making a big pot of Meatball and Macaroni Soup from a post by Diana at Bookchickdi. I have a post on my blog with links to over 30 soup recipes.
http://www.heatherpearson.com/2011/12/receip-thursday-great-soup-recipe-hunt.html