Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Back in the Game



Anyone else hear anything about there being some sort of football game on TV later on today?  Heh. I kid. Regular readers know we're a big football family here and on normal Sundays, we'd already be well into our viewing schedule of NFL Gameday Morning. But with our Pittsburgh Steelers not being in the Big Game this year and with our Philadelphia Eagles destined to give us a re-run of Groundhog Day each year (at least for the next year, anyway), well, there's really not much at stake today for us. 

Which is a good thing indeed, because I need to invest some serious time in reading Jessica Keener's debut novel Night Swim if I am to make my commitment of providing a review for the fine folks at TLC Book Tours this Tuesday. That's not going to be a problem, because even though I am only up to page 28 of this story of a dysfunctional, grieving 1970s family, I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING this book thus far. Mark my words: Jessica Keener is an absolute talent, a writer to watch. I feel confident in saying that she is going to be among my favorite discoveries for 2012.  (And that cover! Gorgeous, is it not?) 


February has ushered in a much welcomed change in my reading. (You were right about that, JoAnn!) Between Night Swim and Anne Enright's The Forgotten Waltz (which I finished last night and also really enjoyed), this month promises to be much better than January.  (Hopefully that's true on the home front, also; the house that I referenced in last week's Sunday Salon fell through, and while we were a bit disappointed about needing to walk away from that this week, we feel it was the right decision for us ... especially since there is another potential house on the horizon that we're interested in pursuing. I did promise The Husband that I wouldn't say anything publicly until the home inspection comes back all clear, so nixay on the house-ay, 'kay?) 

Finally, here's my dismal reading recap for January, with links to my reviews.  Quantity-wise, it wasn't the best of reading months, with only 5 books read. Quality-wise, I did like Book of Days, Joy for Beginners, and Smut, so I guess it could have been worse in that regard.  


Book of Days
Poems by Jennifer Hill-Kaucher
Read for the 2nds Challenge, A-Z Book Challenge, Fearless Poetry Exploration Challenge, Mt. TBR, and What's in a Name 5 (something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack)


by Erica Bauermeister 
Read for the 2nds Challenge, A-Z Book Challenge, Foodies Reading Challenge.


The Life All Around Me by Ellen Foster
by Kaye Gibbons (audiobook) 
Read for the 2nds Challenge, A-Z Book Challenge, Audiobook Challenge, Mt. TBR, Southern Literature.


by Alan Bennett 
Read for the A-Z Book Challenge, E-Book Challenge, New Authors, Short Story.


Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
by Jamie Ford 
Read for the A-Z Book Challenge, Audiobook Challenge, Mt. TBR, New Authors, What's in a Name 5 (a type of house in the title). 

copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, you have several tempting books listed. I've heard really great things about Night Swim. I'll be watching for your review.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and here’s
MY WEBSITE

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

We don't have television, so I really don't care about the game and as or Niners aren't in the game either, I guess it doesn't matter! If they were, I might make an effort to see it somewhere.

I think I only read 5 or 6 books for the month of January too. I got really burnt out on doing scheduled reviews last year, so I'm cutting back and only reading what I want to read this year.

JoAnn said...

Hurray! I'm so glad February is off to a better start. Glad you enjoyed The Forgotten Waltz, too. I really need to get a review written... so far behind.