Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Checking In on My Climb Up Mount TBR

Over at My Reader's Block, Bev is hosting the Mount TBR Reading Challenge for 2012 and has asked those of us who are participating to check in with a progress report on our adventures thus far.

You'll recall (or, more likely, not) that back in December, I signed up to read a ridiculous number of 40 books from my personal shelves.

Yes, 40.

I'm well aware that is nearly the number of books I tend to read in a year. (My average total is usually around 70 or thereabouts.)

But I have also become extremely well aware - especially as I have packed up my books AGAIN for our move into our new house this coming Monday - that I own way too many books. (There have been several hundred of my books packed away in storage for nearly a year.) As daunting as reading 40 of my books sounds, it will barely make a dent in the number of books I own.

Sigh. Still, I must trudge on.

And trudge on I am.  Sadly, I have only read 6 of those 40 books so far ... but I plan to improve those numbers once I am reunited with my books next week.  (Believe me, I cannot wait.)

So far, here's what I've read (and hey, I've actually HELPED my TBR problem shelves because I wound up donating  3 of these to the library!)

1. Book of Days, Poems by Jennifer Hill-Kaucher
2. The Life All Around Me by Ellen Foster, by Kaye Gibbons
3. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford
4. Night Swim, by Jessica Keener
5. This Beautiful Life, by Helen Schulman
6. Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden

Favorite book: Night Swim

Book that has been on my TBR list the longest: Not sure ... either 
The Life All Around Me by Ellen Foster or Memoirs of a Geisha 

Newest book on my TBR list: This Beautiful Life

The year is still young. Plenty of time to conquer that pesky Mt. TBR. 




copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I keep ignoring Mount TBR in hopes that it will decrease on its own. Funny how that doesn't happen...

Bev Hankins said...

Looking good! It's good to clear some of those books out (to make room for more...shhh, I didn't say that :-) ) I unloaded several at Half-Price books myself.

Peggy Ann said...

I did not sign up for Bev's TBR challenge. I did make a promise to myself to TRY not to buy anymore books this year and only read what I have. Failed, failed, failed:( Already bought 4 and that does not include the free ebooks from Project Gutenberg! I always sign up for Bev's vintage Mystery challenge though! Bev got me started book blogging! We share a love of vintage mysteries.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Yes, you still have time to make a dent in your stacks. I've been working on that issue for three years now. Gradually the numbers are diminishing.

Thanks for stopping by my post yesterday, and good luck!

Lisa Gradess Weinstein said...

Congratulations, Melissa, I have nominated you for the KREATIV BLOGGER AWARD. Go to my blog to see your name in bright lights, then check out the rules for the award, which I've pasted below: The Kreativ Blogger award comes with the following rules: 1. You must thank the person who has given you the award. 2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog. 3. Link the person who has nominated you for the award. 4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting. 5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers. 6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate. 7. Leave a comment on which of the blogs to let them know they have been nominated.