Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Sunday Salon


I should be packing instead of blogging this morning, since there are a mere 20 days remaining until we move into our new house, but ... well, here I am. (Yes, in case you missed the news, we found a new-to-us house and we move in at the end of this month! We can't wait.)

It sounds ridiculous to anyone who isn't a book lover, but one of the things I am most looking forward to is having all my books together again in one spot.  Several hundred of them have been tucked away in storage for nearly a year, and ... well, I've missed them.

However, the fact that I have several hundred books in storage (and an equivalent amount here in the apartment) makes me realize that I need to double up my efforts with the Mt. TBR Challenge. I'm striving to read 40 of my own books this year and so far, I'm doing ... okay.  I've read 6.

One of the oldest books on my TBR shelves was Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, which I just finished listening to this week and really enjoyed. (I know, I'm probably the last person in the world to read this.) I try to purposely select audiobooks from the library that correspond to books I have lingering on my TBR shelves. That way, I feel a double sense of accomplishment when I finish them. I know, this probably doesn't make any sense at all, but it does to me ... sort of.

Anyway, so I'm glad I finally read (or listened to) Memoirs of a Geisha, which is the fictional story of Chiyo, a 9 year old girl who is sold to a geisha house. Separated from her beloved sister and her parents, her name is changed to Sayuri and she becomes an apprentice in the world of the geisha. It's a fascinating story, and the audiobook version is especially well done. The narration by Bernadette Dunne is exceptional, and kept me interested over several weeks of listening to this. I'm keeping this one because I think it may be one I want to reread at some point. I also think it would be good for Betty to read when she gets a bit older.

I'm halfway through The Snow Child, which I talked about in last week's Salon.  Still loving this one and still wishing I could devote an entire day (or night!) to reading this. Hopefully if I get some substantial packing done today I'll be able to read some more of this tonight.

Looking ahead to this week, I'm planning to start listening to Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh on audio. I wasn't sure about this because The Condition was a DNF book for me, but I've since read a good review of this one as well as several great reviews of Faith, so I'll give Haigh another chance.  

OK, before any more hours get frittered away this Sunday, I'm off to go grocery shopping and then to pack more boxes.


copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Unfinished Person said...

Congratulations again on the new house...

...wait, you're taking all your books with you? Isn't this a chance to get rid of some of those you're not reading, hmmm? ;) Like I'm one to talk...actually this spring, we have a project where we'll be cleaning out my old office and hopefully getting rid of a good pile of books that would go unread.

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

Memoirs of a Geisha has been lingering on my TBR shelves for many years-- I actually had two copies for a long time. I should listen to the audio-- that approach completely makes sense to me. I have a much longer backlog of physical TBR books than audio ones.

Good luck with your packing!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Congrats on the house! And I totally get (and have written about) the goal of having all my books in one spot. They are under my roof now, but in 4 different rooms, and I suffer extreme bookshelf envy when I see sprawling home libraries. I have a soft spot for Memories of a Geisha, even though I didn't love it, because my husband bought it for me on our first date.

Lisa said...

I have roughly a bagillion books in storage in my garage. If we ever move I might cull them AGAIN and get rid of more. I've barely missed them.