Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Asparagus! In the Garden and On the Plate!

I had a landscaper come out to the house this afternoon to give me a quote on cleaning up the garden, mowing the lawn once a week, and generally helping us to keep things in decent enough shape as to not piss off the nice neighbors we've already met.  

While we were walking around the yard, I mentioned that the sellers told us we could expect some asparagus soon, but that I hadn't found it yet. 

I guess my new landscapers (they admitted to liking the Flyers - here in Penguins country! - so they were hired on the spot) figured I was pretty stupid, because one of them pointed THIS out to me amid the weeds and the brambles of the garden.  


And these cuties:


And this: 


And these:






Coincidentally, Betty came home from school today all excited because her class saw a video on farming and sustainable agriculture and how eating locally means that your food is healthier because it retains more nutrients because of less travel times. She's been very, very excited about our new garden and very involved and chatty about what we're planning to grow. When I told her that I'd not only found the asparagus patch AND that a few stalks looked ready to eat ... well, bring on the teachable moments, baby! 

(And the fact that she agreed to TRY the asparagus with dinner? Winning!) 


A small harvest, but just right for adding to Pasta Primavera. 


Look at how big this stalk is! 




It was just me and the kids for dinner tonight, which made this a perfect, easy meal. I boiled some farfalle pasta, then cooked the asparagus in a skillet with some olive oil.  That's it.  As for the carrots and peas, I just boiled them together in one pot.  Tossed everything with olive oil, added salt and pepper and parmesan cheese at the table, and there you go.


Betty and I loved it and thought the asparagus was wonderful. Boo refused to try it (the asparagus, that is. The other stuff was fine). The Husband doesn't like asparagus, which is unfortunate because it appears that we have quite the crop. (The sellers of our house are still in the area, plan to remain so, and I often run into the wife. Since asparagus takes two years to grow, I'm thinking of taking her a bunch.)




copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.


3 comments:

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE asparagus. It is delicious roasted in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil. I had some with my birthday steak.

Lisa Gradess Weinstein said...

I love fresh asparagus, it's one of the few veggies I like! Two years to grow, wow. Enjoy your garden and your great meals!!!
Lisa

BookQuoter said...

SO awesome!! Thanks for sharing.