Saturday, April 21, 2012

Read-a-Thon Update: Hours 1-5



Apparently, Blogger decided this would be a fine weekend to roll out its new and improved (jury's still out on that) features for yours truly to learn, so my apologies in advance for any wackiness you see here in my posts henceforth. Bear with me as I figure this all out.

Speaking of wackiness, though, this is THE DAY OF THE 24 HOUR READ-A-THON. I woke up right on the dot of 8 a.m., our starting time here, with Betty (my 10 year old daughter) telling me that the Read-a-Thon was beginning immediately (she is doing this with me). Alas, I had to go out for a doctor's appointment first thing this morning (nothing major; routine bloodwork, thank you, pesky thyroid). In the car, I listened to my audiobook (Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo) and started my current read in the waiting room.

Let's begin by doing the Introductory Meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
My newly adopted wonderful city of Pittsburgh, PA ... which is the 6th most literate city in the country. (Well, technically I'm reading from my couch, which is slightly north of the 'Burgh. Close enough.) And it is a PERFECT Read-a-Thon day ... rainy, gray, cloudy and damp. No guilt for staying inside and reading and shirking the gardening that's begging to be done. Just sheer reading pleasure. Lazy bliss. A nap may be in my future.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Am I allowed to say all of them? From my post last night, here are my piles:




I'm really enjoying my current read, The Sense of an Ending, by Julian Barnes. This was a great choice for the Read-a-Thon and especially for the first selection.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

As I type, The Husband is making us lunch (leftover pizza from last night). Later, I'm planning to make this Cool as a Cucumber Guacamole recipe from Choosing Raw. (I made it for Super Bowl Sunday. It was AWESOME.) Although I just realized I forgot the tomatoes. I'm hoping this will be the night we go out to eat for dinner to celebrate the kids' good report cards.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm a vegetarian, a happily married mother of twins, a somewhat-clueless gardener and new homeowner (although not our first home) and a Philly girl now living in Pittsburgh.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

I've participated in several Read-a-Thons, to some degree or another. (A major work event for a previous job has usually fallen on the spring Read-a-Thon date.) This was the first time that I had my act together and went grocery shopping the day before. One of these years I will have snacks and perhaps even a meal pre-made.

One of my favorite things about the Read-a-Thon is that my daughter Betty usually does this with me. My 10 year old veterinarian-in-training, her book of choice today is Cat Be Good: A Foolproof Guide for the Complete Care and Training of Your Cat, by Annie Bruce.
And now for my stats:

Title of book(s) read since last update: I'm currently reading The Sense of an Ending, by Julian Barnes.

Number of books read since you started: none

Pages read since last update:

the equivalent of 7 pages of audio (Bridge of Sighs, by Richard Russo)
pages 1-43 of The Sense of an Ending

Running total of pages read since you started: 50

Amount of time spent reading since last update: 1.5 hrs.

Running total of time spent reading since you started: 1.5 hrs.

Mini-challenges completed: Introduction meme (this one!)

Other participants you’ve visited: several; 30 minutes spent cheerleading (I don't track the individual participants I've visited)

What I've eaten/drunk:

1 cup of coffee
2 slices of wheat toast with butter (my bad)
1 Entenmann's mini crumb cake (also my bad)

Time for lunch and then, back to the books!
copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

justabookworm said...

Aw it's so nice that your daughter is reading with you. Hope your readathon is going great!

Paulina said...

Great to hear that your daughter is reading along with you! My 13-year-old also participates in these read-a-thons with me, and it's definitely more fun to have a reading companion.

Darlene said...

Good luck with your reading. I think it's great that your daughter is reading too. Your snack list is making me hungry - lol.

Book Dragon said...

drool....crumb cake....

so cool that Betty does this with you!

Jenn and The Cats of Castle Coull said...

I love that your daughter takes part with you (and as a cat rescuer I highly approve of her choice of future careers ;)

Enjoy the reading and your time together.


Team Polonius

Brenna said...

Wow, you have a great selection of books to choose from! :)
My sister read A Monster Calls and recommended it to me- she said she really enjoyed it and was impressed with it overall. It didn't seem to be what she was expecting though. And good for you for organizing snacks a head of time! I hope the read-a-thon's still going well for you!

Brenna from Esther's Ever After