Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Big Book Summer Challenge





You know me and my weakness for Reading Challenges. For whatever reason, I am especially susceptible to the lure of Reading Challenges in the summer. It's like I think I am under some delusion where I have all the time in the world to lounge about and read. Never mind the fact that I still have to find a job (which is a full time job), and I still have a house and a garden and kids to maintain.

Still, the Reading Challenges beckon ... and here's a new one being hosted by Sue over at Book by Book that I can't quite resist.  It also coincides nicely with our library's summer reading club program.

It's the Big Book Summer Challenge:

The Details:

Hey, it's summer, so we'll keep this low-key and easy!
  • Anything over 400 pages qualifies as a big book.
  • The challenge will run from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend
  • Choose one or two or however many big books you want as your goal.
  • Choose from what's on your shelves already or a big book you've been meaning to read for ages or anything that catches your eye in the library - whatever peaks your interest!
  • Write a post to kick things off - you can list the exact big books you plan to read or just publish your intent to participate, but be sure to include the Big Book Summer Challenge pic above, with a link back to Book by Book.
  • Write a post to wrap up at the end, listing the big books you read during the summer.
Here's what I'm planning on reading:


The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines, by Gail Collins
When Everything Changed, by Gail Collins
Flesh and Blood, by Michael Cunningham
The Garden of Last Days, by Andre Dubus III
And the Band Played On, by Randy Shilts

Along with the Summer Reading Program, a  few of these coincide nicely with the Chunkster Challenge (which I've only read one book for), as well as several others. All but And the Band Played On come from my own shelves, making them eligible for the Mt. TBR Challenge too.

It's going to be a great summer!  Join us in the Big Book Summer Challenge?  (You know you want to!)


copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Melissa!

I am the same way about summer - every year, I picture long, lazy days of reading...somehow the reality is always a bit different!

Wow, you've got a great stack of big books there - no light summer reading for you! I am ashamed to admit that I have never read a Margaret Atwood book (but I really want to) - I think I need a challenge for reading "all the books/authors you always mean to read but never seem to get to." And the Band Played On falls into that category, too.

Many years ago, one of my book groups read America's Women - it is definitely a hefty one but interesting.

Enjoy your big books this summer!

Sue

Jennifer Hartling said...

Nice big stack of books there :) Have a great summer of reading!!

http://therelentlessreader.blogspot.com/2012/07/big-book-summer-challenge.html