Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Sunday Salon



Someone really needs to figure out how to add another, say, 3 or 4 days to these weekends. There just isn't enough time to do everything. I know that's an age-old lament (or maybe me feeling my old age) but really, this is getting ridiculous.

(As proof positive of what I mean, those three sentences above were written last Sunday - for last week's Salon, which never happened, because those three sentences were as far as I'd gotten.)

It's really starting to make me think and be more conscious of how I'm spending my time. It's no secret that I'm an Internet junkie, that I'm kind of addicted to this thing. (I've been having a recurring dream about losing or misplacing my laptop, which has a few additional meanings other than my spending too much time online.)

I've always been one who has no qualms about abandoning books that aren't working for me, and I've noticed that the number of DNFs (did not finish) books has been increasing.  I've made my peace with not being able to write reviews for every book I read and with not being able to keep up with or comment on as many blogs as I'd like. Recently, I found myself getting engrossed in the latest blogger drama, spending way more time than I had reading comment after comment and link after link about the matter ... and then suddenly stopping, asking myself if this matter was truly worth dedicating this amount of time. Yeah, not so much.

Anyway. Those are the thoughts swirling about in my mind on this gorgeous Sunday morning that finds me still in need of a shower, still in need of going to the grocery store, and looking ahead to an afternoon of 2.5 hours in a waiting room while Betty is at her support group for siblings of kids with disabilities.  (Hey, at least that affords me some time to read.)

And what I'm reading right now is the wonderful memoir A Slant of Sun by Beth Kephart. You know how there are books on our shelves that, in our minds, are only deemed fit to be read at precisely the exact right time, as illogical as that may sound? The ones we are saving for that perfect moment when it is most opportune to do so?

A Slant of Sun has been that kind of book for me for ... well, quite some time now. I remember hearing about Beth Kephart's memoir when it was first published 15 years ago, probably through some local press because of our Philadelphia connections. When my Boo was initially diagnosed with PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) in 2002, A Slant of Sun often appeared on lists of suggested books and in articles I read. I always intended to do so, especially after befriending Beth herself and getting my copy of A Slant of Sun signed and discovering, through her blog, how the boy in the hat is doing. (Just fine, as it turns out, and graduating from college next week.)

This, then, makes this the perfect week to read A Slant of Sun, which is a wonderful book, as I knew it would be. It has been a week when it feels like I'm floundering at this parenting business, a feeling that is not new to me.

It has been the perfect book to read at the right time.

One of our tomato plants sprouting
May 5, 2012


copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I need an extra 3 or 4 weekend days too! :) You're not alone!

Melissa @ Melissa's Bookshelf said...

Ah, I can totally identify with you and whoever DOES manage to add some extra time to the weekend will totally be my hero.

I need to figure out some priorities with my time, as well. I've been trying to really get back into book-blogging again, but I'm starting to remember why it became so overwhelming with the rest of my busy life going on.

Guess that's what setting priorities is all about and realizing that one person can only do so much. Hope everything works out for you!!

Beth Kephart said...

so grateful, in these quiet days, that a book of yesterday found you today. love, b.

(and don't feel inadequate. please don't ever.)