Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armchair BEA: Let's Talk Networking



For Day 3 of Armchair BEA, we're to share our positive experiences of using our blogs to get involved in our community.  This can involve partnerships with the local literary scene, attending author events and signings, or getting together with local bloggers.

This is a harder question than it initially seemed (which might be why I'm getting today's response in under the wire). I'm kind of low-profile about my blog in real-life, to be honest. If you know me in real life, chances are the blog was not one of the first things I told you about myself. Maybe I think I am just talking to myself here.

That being said, I wouldn't mind changing that a little bit. I'm still pretty new to the Pittsburgh literary scene and I haven't gone to any author events here yet. I also don't know any local Pittsburgh book bloggers (at least, I don't think I know any). What I have done - which has been a wonderful thing - was join a local writers group, the Pittsburgh South Writers Group. That gives me a literary fix on a different kind of level and I'm incredibly grateful for the support these new friends have given me for my own novel in progress.

Turns out, the writers group and my blogging life intersected in an interesting way. One of my new friends in the writers group is Holly Christine, author of Tuesday Tells It Slant and The Nine Lives of Clemenza (both of which you can get on Kindle for a grand total of $1.99). Imagine my surprise when I went to my new friend's website and saw that several bloggers I read had already discovered and read my new real-life friend's book!

I'm not sure if that exactly answers today's question. Like many things, this networking thing is a work in progress, always evolving.



copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Marg said...

Joining a writer's group seems like a fantastic place to start networking!