Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Audiobook Week: So You Want to Review Audiobooks

This week marks Audiobook Week 2012, hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books. During this week, those of us who are participating will feature audiobook reviews and daily discussions on our blogs. If you're an audiobook fan, maybe you'll find a new favorite. If you're new, maybe this might pique your interest. 

Today's discussion topic is reviewing audiobooks. Discuss the essentials of audiobook reviewing. What do you make sure to include? What do you want to see when you read other people’s reviews?

I'm not very good about reviewing audiobooks.

I'm just ... not. For starters, I tend to review them as I do the print version of books - which I know is a huge mistake. I need to get much better at this.

Unless the narrator is exceptional, I tend to only give the narrator a passing mention when I do an audiobook review - which is so wrong, I know. I've been trying to highlight the narrator more often, but I need to remember to include the name of the person. That's like reviewing a book without mentioning the author. If the narrator is horrendous, chances are I'll never mention him/her because I'll have abandoned the book.

In the information that I typically give preceding a review, I will include the length of the audiobook because it does matter whether it is is 6 hours or 16.

I've been reading many of the posts on this topic (which might be why I am getting this in at literally the 11th hour) and they're really informative about ways to better structure my audiobook reviews.

Sorry this is a bit of a disjointed post. I'm a bit distracted with the news of Nora Ephron's passing and have a post a'brewin' about that ....



copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

You know I was just complaining about how important it is to know in advance how long your audiobook selection is...but I never even thought about putting that info in my audioreviews :/ I will now...thanks for your very important 11th hour post :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

It's hard to rate narrators. A big part of it seems to be personal preference. For example: I usually love male narrators but I'm so tough on female narrators. Great honest post.