Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Armchair BEA Bound!



Allow this week's Sunday Salon to serve as a warning to my readers of this blog who aren't book bloggers and who may not be as otherwise immersed in the goings-on of the book world:

This here week coming up is One of Those Weeks where the content of our blogs will be taken over with discussion of many a thing related to Book Expo America, the Book Blogger Convention (and the Book Blogger UnCon), blogging, and the various goings-on in New York City surrounding all of the above. It is, to put it mildly, quite the literary extravaganza that we book bloggers, including yours truly, revel in each year.

As regular readers may recall, I was fortunate to attend the Book Blogger Convention (just for the day) in both 2010 and 2011, but alas ... not this year. When we lived in Delaware, it was easy (and relatively affordable) to travel up to New York via Amtrak for the day; that's impossible from Pittsburgh. My work schedule is also not as accommodating now, as one of this job's busy seasons falls smack in the midst of this week. And, perhaps most importantly, having just purchased a new house in April, a spring fling in New York was not in the financial cards this year.

I'll admit to being a bit bummed, mainly because I always enjoy seeing my blogger friends that I only see once a year and I like networking with publishers and authors. But, thankfully, there's Armchair BEA - which was created for people like me to live out the BEA experience from the comfort of their own homes. (Even moreso this year, apparently, now that there is live streaming with the new partnership, which promises to be all kinds of awesome!)  I've participated haphazardly in years before and it is always a well-run and fun time.

So, all that is a long-winded way of saying that, starting tomorrow, I'll be participating in Armchair BEA once again - and with much more gusto than I have in previous years.  I'm really looking forward to this.

On the reading front, I'm hoping to finish up Buzz Bissinger's amazing memoir Father's Day today. This should have been a read-in-one-sitting type of book, but because of the crazy work schedule and the gardening projects I've been doing, that hasn't happened. This is an absolutely wonderful book, so incredibly well-written and honest. I'm lobbying hard for The Husband to read it. He's resistant, as he is to any autism-related books, having been burned by a half-assed one in the very early days of Boo's diagnosis.

(I should say, Father's Day is probably not one I would recommend for a parent - father or otherwise - who has just gotten word of a child's special needs diagnosis.  The stuff of which Buzz writes comes from a deep place and his accompanying anger is genuine, absolutely true-to-life and completely understandable. I think it's hard to "go there" and understand that if you haven't been there ... and I think a lot of people haven't, in those very early, initial days.  And that's a scary prospect to think of, that there might be even darker days and darker moods to come. I don't know if I could have handled that in the early days, but regardless, I found myself recognizing Buzz's anger all too often as I read.)

In the car, I've also been listening to (I know, I'm the last person in the world to read/listen to this) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  I've logged a lot of hours in the car lately, and this audiobook has been a welcome companion. I'm enjoying this much, much more than I ever expected to, which is always nice. I loved Her Fearful Symmetry, and now with The Time Traveler's Wife, Niffenegger has become one of my new favorite authors.


Next up on my reading pile is a gardening memoir from the library, Four Tenths of an Acre: Reflections on a Gardening Life by Laurie Lisle. I'm thinking there might be a lot that I can relate to in this one.
I'm also on the TLC Book Tour for With My Body, a rather seductive looking novel by Nikki Gemmell that comes out on June 19. My tour date is June 21.

What are you reading this Sunday? And are you heading to BEA in New York (or are you already there?) or will you be joining me for Armchair BEA this week?




copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

christina said...

I've read Time Traveler's and really enjoyed it and although I have Her Fearful on my shelf I've put it off because so many people seemed disappointed by it. Knowing you read it first and it led you to TT gives me hope!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I for one will miss seeing you at BEA this year. Florinda, who is sitting on the bed next to me, says that she misses you too!

I'm really curious about Bissinger's book -- I love his writing, but I've never read anything person like that by him, so I'm curious.