Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Sunday Salon: June 24



Another week, another book I could not finish.

Last week it was The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides and this week it was The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. I wonder if this is going to be a trend this summer? If it is, that's one way to clear out the books on my TBR (to be read) shelves. Both were audios, but even switching over to the print version wasn't helping in either case, so ... back to the library the audiobooks went. (And my print version of The Weird Sisters is going to be donated there, too.)


I just wasn't very invested in these characters. They felt flat to me and undistinguished from each other. As Florinda said in her review of this, I wish I liked this as much as others did. (Because many a blogger LOVED The Weird Sisters.) 


That's also not a great way to go into Audiobook Week, which begins tomorrow and is once again being hosted by Jen from Devourer of Books. Like Jen, I'm planning to feature an audiobook review every day this week - I have enough stacked up in my queue of reviews for a rainy day, I think. I've been meaning to do a sort of "audiobooks that would be good for a road trip" post for those heading on vacations and whatnot, so hopefully that will suffice. I'm also planning to participate in the daily discussion topics surrounding audiobooks. 


Onto the book I read this week (which was NOT an audiobook, but rather the first e-book I borrowed from our library) and really liked. Emily St. John Mandel has now become One of Those Authors Who I Will Read Anything By. I really liked Last Night in Montreal and her latest novel, The Lola Quartet, kept me riveted to every page. (I haven't read The Singer's Gun ... yet.) 


This is billed as "literary noir" which sounds mysterious - and it is, for this is much more of a mystery story than I typically read. There's too much involved to go into here, so that will have to wait until my review. 



It has been awhile since I indulged in a collection of short stories, which I love. There isn't any real reason for my hiatus from short stories. So, I am remedying that with Natalie Serber's new collection Shout Her Lovely Name, which I was sent for review consideration by TLC Book Tours. (My review date is July 3.) 


So far, I'm quite pleased. Serber is a new author to me; I wasn't familiar with her work before reading these 11 stories, but she is a definite talent. The first story, which is also the title story, is among the collection's best and reminded me of a contemporary style, like Lorrie Moore. (Dan Chaon has a blurb on the back cover saying the same thing.) Even better, there are several stories (Ruby Jewel, Alone As She Felt All Day, Free to a Good Home) that are interconnected - and I absolutely love when that happens.


I've been giving serious thought to going on a hiatus from accepting books for review, and I think once I am finished with Shout Her Lovely Name that I just might do that. I'm running out of space on my bookshelves (and there's still at least one box of books that I haven't found since our move) which means that I really need to make a concerted effort to read more of my own books - although the Mount TBR Reading Challenge is proving to be good motivation for that. (Which reminds me that there is a check-in post that I need to do for that one.)

So much bookish goodness ahead in the week to come!


copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I always forget to do my check-in posts :/ I haven't read The Weird Sisters but have certainly seen all the great reviews. I'm anxious to see all the audiobooks this week...I really enjoy them but it's more difficult to remember certain passages (where they are, the context etc.) I wish Apple would come out with a way to highlight/bookmark particular passages the reader would like to re-visit.