Saturday, June 30, 2012

Weekend Cooking: 4th of July Blast Smoothie



Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.


We are, as I've mentioned in previous Weekend Cooking posts, well into berry season here at our house. In addition to the blueberries that are proliferating outside our door, we've been purchasing the likes of strawberries and blackberries at the grocery store. When I mentioned to Betty that we needed to use them up and perhaps we could have a Smoothie Night, she eagerly agreed.

We found this one on allrecipes.com, and a very timely one too for the upcoming Fourth of July holiday here in the States on Wednesday.

4th of July Blast Smoothie

1 cup fresh blackberries, or more to taste  (you could substitute blueberries for these; we didn't, as I had some blackberries to use up)
5 large strawberries, hulled and halved
1 large banana
1/3 cup orange juice
2 cups crushed ice
1 teaspoon white sugar, or to taste
(optional) (I didn't use this either; it wasn't needed).
12 fresh blackberries

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place 1 cup blackberries, strawberries, banana, orange juice, and ice into a blender in that order, and blend on high speed until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour into 4 glasses and top each serving with 3 blackberries for garnish. (We didn't do that step.)

Our thoughts: I had an apricot that needed to be used up, so I threw that into the mix too. We added a dollop of frozen vanilla yogurt, which made this more creamier and less tart for those who preferred their smoothies as more of a milkshake consistency.

Also, if you're using 8 oz. glasses as I did above, you'll only get two servings out of this. Smaller glasses will, obviously, result in more. (Like my math skillz there?) Regardless, this is a beautiful purple color and a delicious treat that is perfect for the 4th of July or anytime during the summer months.

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I keep and assortment of fruit in the freezer so I can make smoothies at any time. they are a wonderful pick me up. To turn i into a meal, I'll add a scoop of protein powder or some raw cashews and then a tbsp of chia to thicken it up.

Beth F said...

Now that I've dusted off my blender to make milk shakes, I should keep it out for these more healthful smoothies.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

This is perfect weather for a refreshing, healthy smoothie.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

This is perfect weather for a refreshing, healthy smoothie.

Carole said...

Oooh, I so want one of those. And it's healthy too.
Have a great week

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I just love a good smoothie for breakfast! I'm also easily entertained by the minor differences in taste depending on what I find in my refrigerator to put in my smoothie! :)