Saturday, June 23, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Blueberry Thrill

Just saw Punxsutawney Phil hangin' out a little too close to the blueberry bush in the backyard. Here's a prediction for you, Phil: mess with my blueberries and you'll be wishing for six more weeks of anything.  ~ my Facebook status tonight

I'm so thrilled with how our blueberries are turning out this summer. They are fabulous. When we bought this house earlier this spring, it came with five blueberry bushes in the backyard. As we've established, I wasn't anywhere near being a gardener before acquiring this house and the rather large vegetable garden that came with it. I sure as hell didn't know the first thing about taking care of blueberry bushes.

I still don't. So, I've just left the things alone, let nature do her thing, and on Wednesday I discovered that we had our first honest-to-God blueberry!


A welcome sight, too, because the same night I discovered that rabbits devoured my peas. Before that, it was the strawberries. (Those didn't even get planted before they ate them.)

Every evening, Betty and I go out to "check on the blueberries" and bring in the harvest.


We had 10 on Wednesday. 


Thursday, we had 46.  Last night, 80.


I thought we'd hit 100 tonight, but we were seven short with 93.

Betty and I have been enjoying them with Frozen Vanilla Yogurt as an evening snack, sometimes topped with granola.



So, listen up, Punxsutawney Phil. Stay away from my blueberries.

'Cause I'm looking forward to six more weeks (or whatever I can get) of these babies.


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.



copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

caite said...

I have tried to grow blueberries before and failed...which is odd because they are grown commercially all around here. But a planted some more this year, so we will see! Next year....

Beth F said...

Blueberries grow like gangbusters around here -- I just love them fresh from the garden. Isn't it wonderful to walk out the back door to get your fresh berries? What a wonderful bonus to your house.

Joy said...

I didn't get a single blueberry this year. I have two tiny bushes and I've yet to beat the birds to the bulk of the harvest. Since I was in Ireland when they ripened this year, they all went to the birds.
Joy's Book Blog

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

My mother-in-law has blueberries, and the birds are the ones she has to fight daily...she said the other day that she guesses she gives in to the fact that she grows blueberries FOR the birds ;)

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

My husband just told me yesterday that he heard New Jersey blueberries were in the store now- yay for blueberries!

Carole said...

Fresh blueberries - yum.
Have a great week.

jama said...

Love blueberries! There's nothing like growing and picking your own. Will you have enough for a pie or crumble soon?

Linda said...

Yum. I love blueberries. Enjoy!

Cecelia said...

Ooooh - I love blueberry season. And you have them in your YARD! So cool. Enjoy!