Monday, August 27, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Since I missed doing a Sunday Salon post yesterday, I thought I'd catch up by participating in in this week's It's Monday! What Are You Reading? which is hosted by my friend Sheila.

My absence in the Salon and my presence here has to do with the New York Yankees. We are Yankees fans, and since they were playing the Cleveland Indians this weekend (and since Cleveland is just two hours from us), we took that opportunity to turn it into a weekend family trip to Ohio. We visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday and took in the game at Progressive Field on Sunday. It was a GREAT weekend and one that I'll recap in more detail soon.

It also meant not much reading this weekend. I didn't even take an ACTUAL PRINTED BOOK with me, only my Kindle. This is now the second time I've done that for a short weekend trip (and I'll probably do it again in two weeks time) and it's still kind of a strange feeling. I wonder if I'll ever get used to that?

It wouldn't have mattered because I'm still in a bit of a restless reading mode from last week ... so I actually haven't been reading all that much. It's driving me kind of crazy, to be honest. I've tried switching genres (fiction to nonfiction and back again), I've tried short stories and shorter tomes. Last week I finished The Years by Virginia Woolf and Unearned Pleasures and Other Stories by Ursula Hegi (which was just okay).  I can take a couple days of this, but now that this has lasted more than a week, it's a bit too much. I want to find the next book to fall in love with, and I want it NOW.

Fortunately, I think I may have found it. Thank God.

I've had Kelly Corrigan's memoir, The Middle Place, on my bookshelves for awhile, always as one of those books I've "been meaning to read." Like me, Kelly's a Philly girl. She writes in a comfortable, approachable style that makes you feel like she's you - or your best friend - or someone who you want to be your best friend. I listened to her second book, Lift, on audio and really liked it. Like Lift, I'm finding myself nodding my head in recognition and "my God, that's absolutely it" through so much of this, and I'm only on page 35.
"It is one thing to be a man's wife - quite another to be the mother of his children. In fact, once you become a mother, being a wife seems like a game you once played or a self-help book you were overly impressed with as a teenager that on second reading is puffy with common ideas. This was one of many things I had learned since crossing over into the middle place - that sliver of time when childhood and parenthood overlap. One day you're cheering your daughter through a swimming lesson or giving her a pat for crossing the monkey bars or reminding her to say 'please,' and the next, you're bragging to your parents about your newest trick - a sweet potato recipe, a raise at work, a fix for your ant problem. It's a giant Venn diagram where you are the only member of both sets." (pg. 28)
I'm also listening to this on audio (the narration by Tavia Gilbert is fabulous).

There was a snafu in downloading this from the library, so while that was getting worked out, I went ahead and downloaded Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell.

So that is what I am actually reading - and listening to - today, on Monday.



copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because said...

I'm interested to hear in how you like "Blink." I read "Tipping Point" and really enjoyed it.

Moira said...

I read The Middle Place a few years ago. The author went to University of Richmond, so several of my old book club members knew her. I enjoyed it at the time, although I don't think I really "got it." Now I do. But I'm glad I had already read it, and that I'm not doing so now. The events of the past couple years might make it too hard for me to deal with.

Bree said...

I've never heard of The Middle Place. Love the except you added to post. Now I want to read it. Thanks for adding to my TBR pile. :)

Bree said...

I've never heard of The Middle Place. Great excerpt you added to post. Now I want to read book. Thanks for adding to my TBR pile. :)